Green Wheel Lane, Bradfield?

CathS

Am delving into my grandparents past and it seems my mum was born whilst they were living at Green Wheel House, Green Wheel Lane, Bradfield.

I can find a Green lane, is this one and the same does anyone know?

Have googled with no luck.

Thanks

Am delving into my grandparents past and it seems my mum was born whilst they were living at Green Wheel House, Green Wheel Lane, Bradfield.

I can find a Green lane, is this one and the same does anyone know?

Have googled with no luck.

Thanks

The Green Wheel was on the river Loxley. On the 1850s OS map it's shown as a dam and wheel with a house close by. The house is at the end of a little spur off Lower Matlock lane - perhaps a couple of hundred yards down from Loxley road. Impossible to see if the house is still there on Google maps because of the trees.

It's closer to malin Bridge than Bradfield - but Bradfield would have been given as the 'parish' on official documents.

Wisewood yes- the Green Wheel was a water-driven Tilt Hammer/Forge with a dam and a house nearby. It was just off Low Matlock lane - which is just a track through the woods these days, behind the Wisewood Inn on Loxley road.

Around 1885 it was known as the Green Steel Works and in 1989 the house was still there although the dam and works buldings had gone. I suspect there never was a Green Wheel lane it was always known as Low Matlock lane.

I don't think there is a nameplate for Low Matlock lane but it's the left turning just past Riverside close on the opposite side. (As you're travelling from Malin Bridge to Bradfield)

Looking on Google maps there are a couple of buildings on the left hand side of Low Matlock lane that might be houses...you may get lucky. I'd be inclined to park up on Loxley road nearby and tackle the lane on foot.

Well i popped down there yesterday and had a nose around. It wasn't what i expected.On going down the road there is a derelict warehouse type building on the right, anyone know what that is? Doesn't appear on an 1885 map i have. Its quite visable from Loxley road. I had a snoop around(although i noticed from the signs on the other side that i shouldn't have been in there, ooops!)

Anyway, as you carry on down the lane there is a Fiat mechanics at the bottom but as you veer to the right the house is there on the left of the road(well i think thats the right one). It's a biggish house, stone built, and is quite obviously occupied and they had guard dogs so didn't get too close(although when i got home i noticed that it's a through road so will go back again). I did manage to get some pictures so hope someone can identify them. There appeared to be some column type structures visable from Loxley road, wonder if these are from the original mill???

Pictures i took are here - http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v218/UKCath/Low%20Matlock%20Lane/

Archived