Melting chocolate in a microwave..

Melting choccy in the microwave is very difficult to get right, you have to remember that food carries on cooking after its ding`d. And chocolate spoils very easily, if melted too long it will begin to cook and separate.

Easiest way to do it without a cooker is to grate the chocolate into a shallow dish, boil the kettle and pour into a bowl, put the dish of grated choc on top and cover, leave for a couple of mins.........hey presto, perfect melted chocolate:love:

By the way, you shouldn`t stir choclate while its melting, wait until its all softened.

If you have really good plain chocolate (with high cocoa solids) then it's unlikely to go grainy and yuk whether you melt it in a bain marie, a microwave or down your cleavage.

The problem comes with the lower cocoa solids chocolate- white chocolate is really hard to melt without it seizing (the grainy mess) so the golden rule is- the paler the chocolate the slower and more gently you have to melt it.

Bain marie over (not in) almost boiling water is the most gentle method, but even that's not guaranteed with very pale chocolate. A couple of kettle loads of water is all you'll need to have an effective bain marie for long enough to melt some choccie for rice crispie cakes though.

If you have really good plain chocolate (with high cocoa solids) then it's unlikely to go grainy and yuk whether you melt it in a bain marie, a microwave or down your cleavage.

The problem comes with the lower cocoa solids chocolate- white chocolate is really hard to melt without it seizing (the grainy mess) so the golden rule is- the paler the chocolate the slower and more gently you have to melt it.

Bain marie over (not in) almost boiling water is the most gentle method, but even that's not guaranteed with very pale chocolate. A couple of kettle loads of water is all you'll need to have an effective bain marie for long enough to melt some choccie for rice crispie cakes though.

Thanks for that- I just snorted unmentionable substances all over me laptop :hihi:

Thanks for that- I just snorted unmentionable substances all over me laptop :hihi:

Sorry- I'm having one of those days.

BTW- it's really hard to make rice crispie buns with chocolate that you've melted down your cleavage unless you put it in a plastic bag before you try melting it (and where's the fun in that?).

• 1 year later...

How hard is it to melt chocolate? Much harder than I tho0ught at first. , Thought I would do some crispy buns with the kids - both me & hubby melted some & it went hard & grainy (on a bain marie - the last time I used the microwave it was unusable). We still managed to use it but it today wasn't quite how I wanted it. I think after reading this I had the heat too high & will try some cheaper chocolate next time.

Thanks for the tips.

How hard is it to melt chocolate? Much harder than I tho0ught at first. , Thought I would do some crispy buns with the kids - both me & hubby melted some & it went hard & grainy (on a bain marie - the last time I used the microwave it was unusable). We still managed to use it but it today wasn't quite how I wanted it. I think after reading this I had the heat too high & will try some cheaper chocolate next time.

Thanks for the tips.

Don't use cheap chocolate! Use 85% cocoa like Lindt. British choc like Cadbury's is not seen by the rest of Europe as choccie but merely a confection. If you want to cook with choccie .. spoil yourself!

Archived