British Restaurants

I've recollections that during the War years my mother on odd occasions took me to a very large café in Pond Street.

I got to know later in life, that it was a British Restaurant which were set up during the war.

Did customers need to have to use coupons to buy the food?

Has anyone got memory's of them?

British Restaurants Albert? Do you think anybody would dare open one of them these days? You'd get the race relations round wouldn't you if you called something a British outlet these days. Bet there was none of that foreign muck about in them days were there?

British Restaurants Albert? Do you think anybody would dare open one of them these days? You'd get the race relations round wouldn't you if you called something a British outlet these days. Bet there was none of that foreign muck about in them days were there?

Ask your mother if she went in one. Around that time it was the only place where you could get a good meal.

From memory I think one was in Pond Street where the Students Union is now built and the other near to the City Hall to-wards Carver Street.

Anyway, I hope the weather is fine for you all this weekend and you enjoy it. The last time I was up on those cliffs, was in June, 1962. When we walked from a caravan we'd hired at Filey to Bridlington and the weather was marvelous for a fortnight.

(Only been married two year, so I didn't get nagged!!)

In '47,I went to live and work in London. I remember British restaurants,where you could get a decent meal,main course and sweet,for a very reasonable price. Food rationing was still in obeyance,but you did'nt need any coupons for your meal. I think they finished in '47 or '48. The one I remember was only a stones throw from Lords cricket ground.

This topic was on another thread a little while ago and I was surprised how many British Restaurants there were in Sheffield. We used to go to one around West Bar and I remember they gave a free Xmas meal to people in the Services - my Mum nursed at Wharncliffe Military Hospital and we tried to get her to go, but no luck!

I went in one day and got my meal ( Lancashire Hot Pot, I think ) wnt to put a little pepper on it but somebody had left the top loose and the whole lot went on my dinner. I don't remember whether you had to have coupons but they wouldn't give me another meal.

This topic was on another thread a little while ago and I was surprised how many British Restaurants there were in Sheffield. We used to go to one around West Bar and I remember they gave a free Xmas meal to people in the Services - my Mum nursed at Wharncliffe Military Hospital and we tried to get her to go, but no luck!

I went in one day and got my meal ( Lancashire Hot Pot, I think ) wnt to put a little pepper on it but somebody had left the top loose and the whole lot went on my dinner. I don't remember whether you had to have coupons but they wouldn't give me another meal.

Are you able to remember where on West Bar it was? and was the Wharncliffe Military Hospital on Salt Box Lane at Grenoside?

I've recollections that during the War years my mother on odd occasions took me to a very large café in Pond Street.

I got to know later in life, that it was a British Restaurant which were set up during the war.

Did customers need to have to use coupons to buy the food?

Has anyone got memory's of them?

There was one right across from the side of the city hall. The food was simple, basic and cheap, and you didn't need coupons. I still remember their seville orange marmalade pudding to this day.

I remember once dining at the British Restaurant in Pond St. Two bob all in, for meat and two veg, pie and custard, and tea. I clearly remember the lady serving the tea. Didn't like the look of me at all (I have that effect on some). Her teapot had a piece of rubber tube on the end about 9'' long, so she didn't have to lift the damn' thing too high. I remember me and a mate had been at the fairground and won about 5/-, a fortune to us kids, so we were celebrating. Man, that was living.

I know this is off the subject but I've faint memories of that Fair Ground.

Was it on the spare ground just past Hindleys and Joseph Rogers?

And did it have a Big Wheel?

The Pond Street British Restaurant would be opposite.

I can recall a second one near the City Hall, Did we have any more?

Archived