British Restaurants

The British Restaurant on West Bar. I think it was at the the end of Bridge St, just before where Hawleys Tyres is situated. There was a bus station there as well, can remember catching bus to Wisewood from there.

Wharnecliffe Miltary hospital, was at the top of the main drive of Middlewood Hospital close to Worrall Rd. I do not know about the

one at Grenoside.

You have knocked my memory and the pennies have dropped.

The bus terminus for the bus to Shiregreen or Shirecliffe was on the slope, by the side of it. The Parson Cross 110 and 49 bus terminus's being at the bottom of the hill.

W

Picasso came to the World Youth Festival held at Wortley Hall, Wortley, Nr Penistone in 1952. He was ' a bit of a radical!! ' actually I believe a member of the Communist Party of France.

Probably others on the Forum, a little over Seventy years old plus, may have recollections of the event. But it must be remembered that whilst the Youth Peace Festival took place, that the Korean War was in full blast along with armed action troubles, taking place in Malaya, Aden, Cyprus.

Many British military personnel were not soldiers by choice, though many were killed or wounded, they had been conscripted in to the armed forces for two years and if they were unlucky after training, they were posted to these trouble spots to fight these wars using real bullets that have only one purpose and that is to kill someone.

If Paul Robson came over from the United States or Charlie Chaplin I do not know. Though they may have done so.

What a coincidence an article in The Star by Martin Dawes writing about Picasso's visit to Sheffield and Butlers cafe/19.3.08

Pablo Picasso visited Sheffield in 1950 for the 2nd World Peace Congress. While in Butler’s Dining Rooms, alas no more in existance, he drew the dove on a napkin.

He was always doing that, wasn't he. Drawing a 'peace' dove on table napkins. This is about the fifth or sixth time I've heard of him doing something like that. They're worth a fortune now.

Archived