Favourite summer beer garden in Sheffield

chrisnobles

As a newbie to the city, ive yet to experience the summer months in sheffield..so to cheer up the gloomy mood were all in from the current climate, i thought it might be a good idea to discuss/recommend some good places in town to drink in the sun?

Cheers

Chris

The Sheaf View is a good sun trap, although I know the no-smoking rule on the terrace means it doesn't suit everyone.

I do think Sheffield is lacking decent beer gardens compared to other cities, although the smoking ban might have improved the situation this summer as pubs are trying to make the most of their outdoor areas. Couldn't really tell last year as I'm not sure we had a sunny day after the 1st July??

As a newbie to the city, ive yet to experience the summer months in sheffield

Chris

Bad news I'm afraid. We don't have summer here, it's like this 365 days a year (and this is warm for us)!

Only kidding (kind of).

Flightlevel's recommendations are spot on, but add the Riverside, round the corner from the Fat Cat.

The new Leopold Square should be where to head for on a summer's afternoon/evening. You can sit outside the Leopold Hotel or Platillos and drink away to the sound of cascading water. It has a cosmopolitan feeling.

The Ha! Ha! Bar used to be good for outside drinking and a cool glass of Pinot Grigio outside Ruskin's overlooking the theatres is recommended too.

There are more, further afield (stunning views at Three Merry Lads, Old Horns at Bradfield and Rose and Crown in Stannington) but I reckon you're casting your net more locally?

As rubbish as it is in some respects - beer being one of them, The Nursery Tavern beer garden I am rather fond of, it just has a nice buzz and a hot summer afternoon/evening on Ecclesall Road is somehow really quite nice. However, it doesn't have stunning views, much in the way of non-standard beer and does attract a discernibly young crowd - not always a bad thing though and as a result you couldn't call it pompous or staid at all, it's about as relax as it could possibly get.

Archived