HELP: No ID - Need a bank account!

I Seriously cannot be the only person in this situation, and there has to be a way, let me tell you the brief story.

A few years back my employer moved out of Sheffield and I ended up without a job, at that point I had a contract mobile phone, and a couple of finance payments going, obviously this ended up with me getting in debt as I was unable to keep up the repayments etc..

I ended up declaring Bankruptcy which cleared back in 2005.

I recently recieved my Certificate of Discharge from the court stating that I have now officially been released from the bankruptcy and my name is now clear.

Originally, I had a bank account with the Halifax, which (obviously) got blocked during the bankruptcy proceedings.

I recently went to the Halifax to reactivate this account, and they advised me that they would have to close it, take a copy of my "Certificate of Discharge", and I would have to fill in a new account application which they would send off to the head office who could close my old account, then open a new (very basic) one for me. GREAT I thought, I was advised it would take 10 days to be sorted. So, I have just got off the phone with the Halifax, since I had heared nothing back within the 10 days, and this is what I was told.. "It is Halifax policy not to open an account for anyone who has previously been declared bankrupt"

So, now im stuck between a rock and a hard place since I dont have a Driving License, or Passport, the house is in my mums name so none of the utility bills are addressed to me, and I need a bank account.

there HAS to be somewhere I can open a bank account, even just a simple one so I can get my wages paid in, and draw money from a cash machine when required.

the problem is, all the banks I have tried all require 2 forms of ID, one of which being a Passport or Driving License (photo ID) and one household utility bill in my name.

HELP!!! does anyone have any suggestions? know anywhere I can open an account etc?

There are other forms of ID they can accept but you may have to provide more than 2 forms of ID in this case. Go and ask them for a list of acceptable ID.

Do you have anything that has your name and address on? What about P60's, medical card ........

your only option would be a post office account, however these ar not as easy to get as they used to be, if you need benefits to be paid into it you have to telephone the benefits agency up and arrange them to send you a letter of invitation to take to the post office ... its very confussing!

you cant blame the banks really, there are businesses after all

I think you want a Post Office Basic Bank Account.

I have a post office account, but thats ONLY for benefits, only government agencies can pay into a post office account as this is the first place I tried, but I have a job now and need somwhere I can get my wages paid into, I tried the post office account for my first wage (end of feb) and obviously, it didn't work so we ended up getting it paid into my mums account, but obviously this isnt ideal.

Hiya,

I remember from my days in Money Laundering Compliance that there are alternative forms of identification that will be accepted by many banks.

However....it varies.

Go and have a chat with a bank and explain the situation. The Halifax definitely used to accept letters from a suitable professional - Doctor, etc. - or from your religious leader - Iman, Priest, etc. - as proof od ID.

Then you will need SEPARATE proof of address. This is usually a utility bill - I can't remmeber whether Tax documents are acceptable here - dfeinitely have a word with a couple of banks.

Try TSB - they were good to me when I had a dodgy credit record. :)

take a picture of yourself to a solicitor,ask him to photocopy it and write a letter on the same paper identifying the person in the picture as you,take along your birth certificate and a medical card and other bits and pieces such as bills,official letters etc,it worked for my son and it also worked for a friend of mine who needed proof for a mortgage

Just to add to what Depoix says, my GP has provided me with proof of identity on occasion. I gave him a photograph and a statement with a particular form of words that my Mortgage holder asked for and he signed it.

there may be a charge.

The Cooperative Bank, up on West Street will give a simple current account, ie. cash/debit card but no cheque book or over draft, but they do have facility for direct debits etc., to someone previously bankrupt or with poor credit history. They do not require passport or driving licence etc. The are the bank recommended for those in such difficulties, with the added bonus that they are more ethical than the other High St banks. Good luck.

Archived