The secret life of internet forums - people who make up aliases

I'm WYSIWYG - for better or worse. :)

When I was a Mod I was probably more chilled when folks met me in r/l, and most people were pleasantly surprised that I didn't have horns and cloven hooves. :)

Nowadays I'm much more the same online and offline.

I couldn't maintain different personas - I think it would seriously do my head in.

The chap mentioned above - I'm surprised he didn't have soem sort of mental breakdown!

I couldn't maintain different personas - I think it would seriously do my head in.

I read this thread earlier, and that's something that I've said before in here. It would be near impossible to post regularly in here, or any forum, and fib for a long time. (and keep it consistent).

The only exception to 'being yourself' for a long time, I can think of right now is this...

That sounds like me purdyamos, in real life I am shy and quiet, probably why I have never been to a meet - I would feel uncomfortable.

Shyness..

I find it intriguing to try and put a handle on the characters on the Forum from their posts. A bit of fantasy makes you lot all the more interesting and adds to the mystery.

Do you mean working people out? or working out if people aren't genuine?

The only exception to 'being yourself' for a long time, I can think of right now is this...

Shyness..

If I was in the company of several forum members in real life I would be shy and very reserved, posting I obviously don't suffer from being shy or reserved.

It was the same when I started college and work...didn't speak hardly for a few weeks. :o;)

Who cares? people on a forum are whoever they choose to be.... good or bad, you have to take people for who they say they are and judge them by their words and deeds.

Everyone can have an off day and live to regret it but on the whole, if you're fool enough to believe everything you are told about a person from behind a keyboard then you are asking for trouble....

This is cyberland and the plain fact is you don't know for real who you are talking to.... unless you do actually know them of course.

If I was in the company of several forum members in real life I would be shy and very reserved, posting I obviously don't suffer from being shy or reserved.

It was the same when I started college and work...didn't speak hardly for a few weeks. :o;)

Shyness is so common though. Probably the majority of people, (I would think) are shy with new peoples.

I've met quite a few people from here, but the first time I went out, I felt :gag: with nerves. Turned out to be unnecessary. I was quite pleased that the [and mine] theory that people are like they post was right. So being a reader of many more threads that I post in, found common ground.

I think I could spot fake people in here from a poster that's been in a while. (providing they don't change avatars and sigs regularly)

Is that someone thats such a BIG secret,Kirky by any chance ?

:o So much for no names :hihi:

If the new name [poster] isn't breaking any rules, I can't see any problem personally. I doubt it's difficult to use a new name. I feel sure that I could start a fresh with a new identity if need be. I'm also sure that I would be spotted within a day :hihi::hihi:

Shyness is so common though. Probably the majority of people, (I would think) are shy with new peoples.

I've met quite a few people from here, but the first time I went out, I felt :gag: with nerves. Turned out to be unnecessary. I was quite pleased that the [and mine] theory that people are like they post was right. So being a reader of many more threads that I post in, found common ground.

I'm OK when it's a one-to-one situation, but something like meet held in a pub/club then forget it. :)

For a meet I may be more suited to something like the "walkers Group" I may feel more at ease.

About 18 months ago I met a member of the forum on Ecclesall Rd (near Endclffe Park) I recognised him from his avatar. I did say "Hello" Think he was more shocked than me. :)

I'm OK when it's a one-to-one situation, but something like meet held in a pub/club then forget it. :)

For a meet I may be more suited to something like the "walkers Group" I may feel more at ease.

About 18 months ago I met a member of the forum on Ecclesall Rd (near Endclffe Park) I recognised him from his avatar. I did say "Hello" Think he was more shocked than me. :)

I'm totally the opposite. It's funny how people are. I'm quite quiet without a drink. I've just a week without one, and I've barely posted in here, and people at work mentioned how quiet I've been. (not that I drink at work of course:hihi:)

Who was the forummer? you can name him!! hehe, I'd be worried if it was 'The Rat' :P

Out of a work situation I'm just me. I am sure that for most of the people who have met me from the forum they would agree. I spend my life pretending to be a twenty something (something being 17 years gulp) so don't take it that it's put on just for you lot!

Obviously at work i have to put up a persona of living in a box in my stockroom. :hihi:

Archived