The secret life of internet forums - people who make up aliases

I've often thought how easy it would be to "mine" the forum for personal data using a technique called "scraping". You could build up a body of data and extract information from it, and find things out about forummers they probably don't know themselves.

If I've got as far as thinking about trying it, you can bet someone else is already doing it.

Arggh, scary.

I'm pretty much just Sam on here, I've got too many profiles on too many sites to keep up a convincing alias!

The internet is an easy place for people to edit to truth about themselves though. Harder to tell when someone is lying....

Arggh, scary.

I'm pretty much just Sam on here, I've got too many profiles on too many sites to keep up a convincing alias!

The internet is an easy place for people to edit to truth about themselves though. Harder to tell when someone is lying....

Well, seeing as I had some spare time over the bank holiday, my latest creation is now spidering its way through the forum and hungrily slurping up the data.

All your secrets are belong to us.

Well, seeing as I had some spare time over the bank holiday, my latest creation is now spidering its way through the forum and hungrily slurping up the data.

All your secrets are belong to us.

Were you really VERY bored over the Easter holiday? :P

StarSparkle

What you see is what you get. I cant be arsed with all the pretence etc. Don't see the point in it and to deliberately deceive someone by making up a false life is just rather sad. Some people obviously have nothing better to do in life than create some sort of fantasy :roll:

what you see is what you get from me i never put anything on thats not true about myself, if i couldnt be honest and just me in what i have to say [which is never much as i dont write very much anyway], i would not write anything, i cant understand people that make up things about themselves and want to decieve people , they are just either immature, insecure or just not nice in my eyes

• 3 years later...

I was a bit new to forums when I first signed up on SF and I used my real name,I have thought about changing it but I Iv'e got nothing to hide so I left it.my name and details can easily be found on the internet so I'm not bothered about making any story's up and hiding behind an alias,sometimes it holds me back from saying a few things on some touchy subjects.

Archived