Canal trip for a night out.

sunny1

There is a restaurant boat that sails from Victoria Quays to Tinsley locks and back, which has a bar on it, and can be hired for a private party. It is called A39 I think. You can specifiy which type of catering you want, with a choice of either a buffet, Pie & Pea supper or full on 3 course dinner.

I assume they are still doing it anyway - the website seems to have vanished.

Went on the boat trip on the Canal a few years ago, i have to admit it was not the greatest experience. Went as far as the arena and turned round plus it stunk of diesel.

Not to be detered, we then went on the one in Doncaster, a lot lot better, food was excellent and they had a dj and disco on board.

You can indeed hire the canal boat for an evenings party from a shop under the arches by the canal. I went to see about hiring it myself a few weeks ago for an anniversary bash. The trip lasts around 2.5 hours, to tinsley lock and back. However reading Mr-Ned's comments I might not bother. I understand theres a boat trip from Sprotborough thats good though. The Sheffield canal boats'web site didn't work.

I went on the "santa" one on the A39 just before Xmas. twenty people on and it got quite cramped.

You can hire them out at Sprotbrough a lot better and bigger, Sprotbrough night boats i think they are called, one of my work collegues hired them out last year for her mums 60th and went down a right storm

• 4 years later...

I have always found canal trips to be GREAT in theory but when it comes down to practicality it is sorely lacking. Eating food on a rocking boat, the smell of the water and diesel fuel. It doesn't scream romance when you think about it. Now - piracy.. THAT is a whole other matter entirely.