Cole Brothers, was it built on a cemetary?

duffman

From books i have read, i know that coles stands on the site of the old city hall, apparently there was a fire, the only thing remaining was the large organ that was relocated to the city hall as it is now, don't have dates off hand, just know it was around the turn of the century, when the site of the alexander pub near the market was a theatre,, bit of useless info towards the end but hope it helps....

The information I have is that the City Hall organ was brand new when the city hall opened in 1932. It was built by Henry Willis and sons Ltd. Liverpool.

They had a sheffield branch at Townhead Steet. I think the company is still going strong after 160+ years.

Going back to Coles corner I read a book sometime ago about ghosts in Sheffield. I'm sure it said bones were found when the Fargate / High street subway was built (late 60's early 70's ?).

Workmen saw ghost in the area of Boots basement. I think Boots went on to have a display window in the completed subway.

Going back to the early 60's I was a YMCA member when it occupied the upper floors of the building that goes from the Yorkshire Bank, Fargate and wraps around the corner of Norfolk Row. If one went to the top of the building and looked over where Next is situated the view was very interesting.

Running down the rear of what now is Next, past Thomas Cook and Wallaces there was a cobbled alley with Georgian style house fronts going all the way towards Chapel Walk. Perhaps this was the original Fargate with the cemetery running all the way up what we now know as Fargate.

• 3 years later...
i worked at coles in barkers pool during the 70's.

it opened in 1963 and was built on the site of a church.the land is owned by the salvation army and until recently coles always closed on religious days ...i.e good friday due to that connection.it was a fantastic place to work and holds many memories for me

I've resurrected this old thread and heeley boy's opinion that coles moved to barkers pool in 1963. There are a few items like this that I am trying to nail down for a writing project that I've undertaken regarding my growing up years in Sheffield in the 50s and 60s, so help of Forum Readers is appreciated. On this one, heeley boy's 1963 date sounds right. It had to have been moved to Barker's Pool prior to July 1964 because I distinctly remember going to the BP location to have my graduation photo taken. Anyone any further thoughts on this?

The information I have is that the City Hall organ was brand new when the city hall opened in 1932. It was built by Henry Willis and sons Ltd. Liverpool.

They had a sheffield branch at Townhead Steet. I think the company is still going strong after 160+ years.

Going back to Coles corner I read a book sometime ago about ghosts in Sheffield. I'm sure it said bones were found when the Fargate / High street subway was built (late 60's early 70's ?).

Workmen saw ghost in the area of Boots basement. I think Boots went on to have a display window in the completed subway.

Returning late to this thread (sorry!)

I do know that there were quite a few "remains" removed from the vicinity of the cathedral area across Church Street, to what is now HSBC (Coles Corner)

I remember the reports in the Star that there was a rumpus that the workman didn't give the remains proper reverence.

I recall it was something about the canvas screens, erected for the exhumation being fine at ground level for privacy, but that office staff at upper levels could see over the tops, into the excavations, and the report said it offended them.

hiya

i remember at the end of the ww2 on the land in barkers pool, it was from the regent cinema up towards cambridge street, there was a searchlight, an ack ack gun, also a big static water tank, i was seven at the time,we had gone to see the town lit up after all the blackouts. i could be wrong but was the work that was going on at the frontage of the cathederal when the footpath which was about 2x3 ft higher than the road in church st.

HI manxbiker,

there's a problem with the linky on the second pic, of coles corner, as it links back to the same photo of the Albert Hall as in the first post.

I've resurrected this old thread and heeley boy's opinion that coles moved to barkers pool in 1963. There are a few items like this that I am trying to nail down for a writing project that I've undertaken regarding my growing up years in Sheffield in the 50s and 60s, so help of Forum Readers is appreciated. On this one, heeley boy's 1963 date sounds right. It had to have been moved to Barker's Pool prior to July 1964 because I distinctly remember going to the BP location to have my graduation photo taken. Anyone any further thoughts on this?

Problem solved. It was Sep 1963. There's a photo of hordes of people lining up outside the new store in Barker's Pool in the book Sheffield in the Sixties by Peter Goodman. I remember the fuss when the new store opened. Just forgot the date.

Archived