Looking for stories from Arbourthorne

I born in a house on Arbourthorne Rd over 71 years ago.

I think the house was only a few mths older than me.

There was a bomb dropped in the middle of the middle piece of Arbourthorne Rd during the war and we were evacuate to the school for a few days.

For a long time afterwards we would all run up to the black patch (where the road was remade more smoothly ) to spin our whip and tops. Sometimes it was just the top off a tizer bottle.

We just moved for the occasional bus to make it's way down Arbourthorne Road, can't remember any cars passing.

Don't think anyone that I knew had a car then.

hazel

I am an Arbourthorne lass through and through, when I was a child living on Eastern Avenue I remember the time before everyone had a washing machine.

Then out of the blue along came this chap cannot remember who he worked probably himself would come round with a washing machine you could only rent it for an hour and then the people next door or the people across the road wanted it. How Mum rushed to get it all done in that time.

I born in a house on Arbourthorne Rd over 71 years ago.

I think the house was only a few mths older than me.

There was a bomb dropped in the middle of the middle piece of Arbourthorne Rd during the war and we were evacuate to the school for a few days.

For a long time afterwards we would all run up to the black patch (where the road was remade more smoothly ) to spin our whip and tops. Sometimes it was just the top off a tizer bottle.

We just moved for the occasional bus to make it's way down Arbourthorne Road, can't remember any cars passing.

Don't think anyone that I knew had a car then.

hazel

The unexploded bomb was on Berners Drive.I think it was a 1000lb.My father came home from work to find the house empty as everybody had gone to the Arbourthorne Central County School .He set off down Berners Road (where he lived) and ,as he was wearing his Home Guard clothes,he was stopped by a policeman guarding the bomb.The policeman asked him to guard the bomb while he went home for something to eat.This he did.A car came down the road and father stopped it.As you said ,cars were very rare them.The driver was a Jewish man who demanded why father had stopped him.Father said he never finished explaining as when he mentioned a bomb in the hole ,the car raced away in reverse gear !!!!!!

As I was only 3 when all this happened the main thing I remember was that I had my wellintons on the wrong feet-- so the bomb could have been on the next road and Arbourthorne Rd was repaired for something else. I thought there was a bomb too on the field behind the pond where Errington is built later, it was certainly like a roller coaster when I pushed my brother in his pram across it to the shops.

hazel

As I was only 3 when all this happened the main thing I remember was that I had my wellintons on the wrong feet-- so the bomb could have been on the next road and Arbourthorne Rd was repaired for something else. I thought there was a bomb too on the field behind the pond where Errington is built later, it was certainly like a roller coaster when I pushed my brother in his pram across it to the shops.

hazel

I wasnt around then, I,m a post war baby boomer ! My father told me.The only bomb crater I remember was near the farm opposite the quarry on Gleadless road just below Myrtle Springs.We used to pass it going to Rolley Woods.

hazel

My late grandpa always used to say that he was astounded that they managed to build anything on the Errington land, it was left undeveloped for many years after the original housing was uilt on the 'Arbour, as the land was supposedly "too wet to build on".

(indeed, the garden of my finnegan-house on the other side of east bank road from this field had a small, natural stream running through it)

I wondered why they left it, we used to climb the railings at the bottom of our garden and play in the fields. Can not remember it being wet but must have had a lot of clay in the soil as the path across was baked dry in the summer.

The field where the houses were built were full of wild flowers, moonpennies and buttercups with dragonflies hovering above them, which were all electric blue like little neon signs.

Lots and lots of little frogs too from the pond.

hazel

The worse thing about living there was I could never spell my address at infant school, ( and prob Junior)

Archived