Looking for stories from Arbourthorne

i was once stopped on eastbank road by marc bolan, he was in a large vintage car,the driver asked me how to get to the arbourthorne hotel......went and watched his act that night and spoke to him at the bar

oooh, you spoke to Marc Bolan... *le sigh*

I'm green with jealousy!

From an ealier thread of Marc Bolan, Ray Stewart at the Arbourthorne Hotel

http://www.bbc.co.uk/6music/events/bolan/video.shtml

Also can anyone remember seeing 'Its a Knockout' filmed on Arbourthorne Field,- Sheffield v Scunthorpe if i remember

the "It's A Knockout" I remember filmed in Sheffield, was from the early seventies,(definitely pre 75/6, as my aunt moved away around that time) and it was filmed in Norfolk Park. My aunt's flat on the 10th floor of Mandrake Block (the one just by the bridge at the Horse And Lion) overlooked the park, and the view of the proceedings was amazing.

Just showed my boyfriend the link about Marc Bolan at the Arbourthorne Hotel, he cant believe it he never knew about it and he only lived at Norfolk Park. He is gutted that he never got to see him when he was so close by. That footage was brilliant did anyone spot the kid with the Bradleys Record carrier bag?

I to remember Marc Bolan he stood on the flat roof of the outside extension of the pub and played. Plain Talker I live also in a Finnegan on Algar Rd I think it is disgusting the amount of time they are taking about the demolishing of them. It has been ongoing since 2004 and they now say being in phase 3 it will be 2012/13. What do you think?

Pam

Me too born on Arbourthorne Rd great memories great mates lots to do never no trouble not like today when I read on SF I can not believe what is happening.Anyhow growing up there in the 50s and 60s is one thing I will never forget.

I to remember Marc Bolan he stood on the flat roof of the outside extension of the pub and played. Plain Talker I live also in a Finnegan on Algar Rd I think it is disgusting the amount of time they are taking about the demolishing of them. It has been ongoing since 2004 and they now say being in phase 3 it will be 2012/13. What do you think?

Pam

I do think the council need to wake their ideas up. If they're going to demolish then get them demolished, if they aren't, then get them refurbed. (I think it's utterly pointless that the council have spent a small fortune on double glazing the properties, doing the bathrooms out, and refurb-ing the kitchens, only to demolish them)

I know that when the finnegans were built in 1967/8 they were only intended to be up for approx 10 yrs, 15 at most. Forty years on, I think they've done remarkably well, and I don't think they "owe us owt" as the saying goes.

I loved my Finnegan, and had it not been for the council refusing to do the adaptions I needed, I would still be in it. They were great for fuel economy becasue of all the insulation, the built in wardrobes etc were massive, and they were so well laid out. (the flat roof was a bit of a problem as it was poorly maintained, and the drain kept blocking up, causing the roof to become a swimming pool.)

my only quibble about my finnegan was the fact that I had a hole in my living room wall, caused by water penetration. Something which was never repaired properly in nearly five years. Rather than deal properly with the water coming in, and then repairing the plaster, the workmen would come and plaster the hole up, and as soon as the water came back in, it'd wash out as quickly.

the "It's A Knockout" I remember filmed in Sheffield, was from the early seventies,(definitely pre 75/6, as my aunt moved away around that time) and it was filmed in Norfolk Park. My aunt's flat on the 10th floor of Mandrake Block (the one just by the bridge at the Horse And Lion) overlooked the park, and the view of the proceedings was amazing.

Hi

I am sure, it all took place on the field, as i can remember going up past the Fellbrigg, but it was a long time ago, and could well have been in the park.

Hi

I am sure, it all took place on the field, as i can remember going up past the Fellbrigg, but it was a long time ago, and could well have been in the park.

It was definitely in the park. My aunt's block overlooked it. We would not have been able to see it, if it had been further up on the arbour-fields

Archived