Councils Rent Office at Pond Street

i can remember going with my mum to pay our rent .I think it was called Cadman Lane As it the front door was on the lane off pond street just at the back of the S.U.T. building.I can recall standing in the queue that started in the basement off the building and wound up the staircase with metal hand rail.It seemed to go on forever and waiting in that queue took for ages.In 1974 i got the keys to my first council house .It was to this very building i had to go to sign for it and collect them

Your mother paid the rent at the old Joseph Rogers Cutlery Factory. I'm still searching my mind to recall where Cadman Lane was situated.

A man named ' Mr Aldous '(?) was the housing manager.

Cadman Lane ran off Union Street, approximate position would be where the "eggbox" was built.

Mr H.J. Aldous was the Housing Manager when I was there, nicknamed "the ghost" because he seemed to glide rather than walk and you never heard him coming. He was very difficult to understand, mumbling in a posh accent.

Cadman Lane ran off Union Street, approximate position would be where the "eggbox" was built.

Mr H.J. Aldous was the Housing Manager when I was there, nicknamed "the ghost" because he seemed to glide rather than walk and you never heard him coming. He was very difficult to understand, mumbling in a posh accent.

I must find a old street map and find the exact position of Cadman Lane. I'm almost certain where it was but a map will confirm it.

May I suggest that you put a few paragraphs together about your old manager, It will be interesting to read. Most people will only know of him because he signed ( or gave his name to ) most of the Housing Departments letters. I can remember it on my mothers rent book.

If you met him for the first and last time when he evicted you for not paying the rent, I don't know because fortunately I've never been in that position, but does anyone who got evicted know ??.

Archived