Has anyone tried to run their diesel car on vegetable oil?

I tried it in my truck. I used a 50:50 mix of used veg oil and diesel. I filtered the oil through a 50 micron filter purchased from ebay.

About 80 litres later the truck came to a full stop and had to be towed to the garage to have a new filter and the tank/fuel lines cleaned because they were full of gunk (the filter hadn't been effective enough)

When I added up the saving on fuel and the cost of repairs, I was still £sss down :(

Plus I used to get lots of stares and the occassional comment because the exhaust smelt like a chip pan :hihi:

Ermm, strictly speaking to stay legal aren't you supposed to pay fuel tax on the oil that you use? I remember watching a documentary on it and there were people having to fill in a form every year and pay (a relatively modest) amount of tax based on their usage.

• 3 years later...
Apparently it is perfectly legal to use veg oil in tank without declaring unless you use more than 2000 litres. Most diesel cars will run normally or even better with a 30% veg oil mix with diesel. Doesn't work out much cheaper though I am told as you need to change the fuel filter more often.

Just started useing veg oil in my old Landy at about one third mix it seems fine at the moment and seems to run better too.

Paying £1 per litre for the oil so if every thing goes ok will be well pleased.

And to top it all it smell lovely.

It might work in an old farm tractor, or some such low reving totally unrefined device.

But if you put anything but quality fuel in a modern high spec engine, you will end up spending a fortune to put it right.

If you want to economise on fuel, drive in a correct manner.

You will be astonished how much your mpg rises.

Just started useing veg oil in my old Landy at about one third mix it seems fine at the moment and seems to run better too.

Paying £1 per litre for the oil so if every thing goes ok will be well pleased.

And to top it all it smell lovely.

The cost of veggie oil I note has gone up quite a bit, those big 20l containers of it used to be about £15 ie 75 p per litre only a year ago, as I was thinking about giving it a try. Now as you say, it's a £1 a litre.

used veg oil in a pajero 2.5 turbo diesel running a 3 litre to 1 litre veg oil mix and it run rather well i actually got better millage only a little more but still just becarfull in winter as to much oil will conjeal in ya tank with the cold and cause it to clog the pipes

Archived