St Patrick - Why are we celebrating and what did he do?

St Patricks day...

There are celebrations all over the city, but I don't actually know what he did. I know that he is Irish, but what was his particular talent?

Was he particually talented in getting drunk?

If he was famous for something else, then why is he celebrated in that way?

He drank more Guinnes in one session whilst wearing a big green hat than any other person in the history of Mankind. We salute him! Watch out for a St Patvarov day where people drink dangerous amounts of Vodka, coming soon to a bank holiday near you!

I will try to enlighten you a little- but I bet there may be someone on here to correct me if I get my facts wrong.

Patrick wasn't Irish- but Welsh, and legend has it that he was kidnapped and taken to Ireland as a boy because he was from a wealthy (Patrician) possibly Roman (all this happened a long time ago!) family.

I think the ransom was paid because Patrick went back to Ireland later in his life to preach the gospel and convert the Irish (they were a wild and Godless lot), and amongst other things he was known for ridding Ireland of snakes (there aren't any to this day), and using the shamrock to illustrate the doctrine of the Trinity- hence the shamrock being a symbol of Irishness.

Patrick was very successful at converting the Irish to Christianity, hence his popularity and his being the patron saint of the country.

I'm not sure why his feast is on the 17th March- but I'm sure someone does.

St Patrick's day became a symbol of Irish identity because they had practically all of their culture destroyed by the English, and this was something that separated them from their English overlords.

We all celebrate this feast now, because we all have a bit of Irish in us somewhere, and it's a good excuse to drink Guiness and play a bit of fiddle music.

Hope this has enlightened you and if anyone has anything else to add, then feel free!!

I'm not sure why his feast is on the 17th March- but I'm sure someone does.

I have read (and I have no clue how, at this distance, anybody could pin down the date), that it was on 17th March 432AD that he was taken to Ireland by his abductors.

Incidentally, there was no Saint Patrick's Day this year. Since 17th March falls inside Holy Week, it is abolished. Ireland, since he is their patron saint, chose to reschedule it for March 15th (Saturday) instead, so far as official and church ceremonies are concerned.

Those among us who neither know nor care who St. Patrick was but just use his feast day as an excuse to get bladdered, are/were mostly unaware of this, and will still argue that the reason they got drunk yesterday was because it was St. Patrick's day. They're wrong; it wasn't.

St Patricks day...

There are celebrations all over the city, but I don't actually know what he did. I know that he is Irish, but what was his particular talent?

Was he particually talented in getting drunk?

If he was famous for something else, then why is he celebrated in that way?

I think you'll find he was a Welshman.

I dare say there are many books written about St Patrick. But one book which describes his life and context in an agreeable way is The Conversion of Europe by Richard Fletcher. It's a good book, I've read it a couple of times.

Archived