St Patrick - Why are we celebrating and what did he do?

Patrick was born somewhere up north.

Some would have him born in Scotland and others around Carlisle.

17th March is the accepted date of his death.

St. Patrick

Apostle of Ireland, born at Kilpatrick, near Dumbarton, in Scotland, in the year 387; died at Saul, Downpatrick, Ireland, 17 March, 493. [some sources say 460 or 461. --Ed.]

I don't know what evidence is provided as to his Welsh, or Scottish origin, but it is widely accepted he wasn't born in Ireland; that's where he performed his ministry.

The snakes thing is a myth, too. There never were any snakes in Ireland to start with.

St Patricks day...

There are celebrations all over the city, but I don't actually know what he did. I know that he is Irish, but what was his particular talent?

Was he particually talented in getting drunk?

If he was famous for something else, then why is he celebrated in that way?

A lot of us English people resent this "celebrating" of St Patrick and all things Irish foisted upon by the brewers of stout and refuse to have anything to do with it.

Patrick tells us in the Confessio - his memoirs - that he was of British and landed birth. His family owned an estate at an unidentified place called Bannaventa. At sixteen he was taken by Irish raiders into slavery. He got his deep Christian learning in Ireland and returned to Britain.

A lot of us English people resent this "celebrating" of St Patrick and all things Irish foisted upon by the brewers of stout and refuse to have anything to do with it.

A few hundred years ago people would have been burned for celebrating St Patrick's day, so I guess we're moving on.

The Irish mainland was a very important centre of Christianity when the rest of Europe was being engulfed by paganism. When people bleat about the Irish they should remember that the re-Christianisation of Europe, to a large extent, was made possible by the existence in Ireland of a conclave of energetic Christian monks.

St. Patrick

Apostle of Ireland, born at Kilpatrick, near Dumbarton, in Scotland, in the year 387; died at Saul, Downpatrick, Ireland, 17 March, 493. [some sources say 460 or 461. --Ed.]

Alternatively he could be a native of Somerset.

http://www.vortigernstudies.org.uk/artgue/guestjelley.htm

He certainly seems to have sprung from an area that remained Romanised after the Romans left in 410 - unlikely to have been Dumbarton.

The Roman town of Bannaventa was apparently in Northants.

http://www.roman-britain.org/places/bannaventa.htm

green balloons all over , irish flags and plenty of guinnes, lovely fun .

wait till st georges day the will tell the pubs not to put the george cross up cos it might offend somebody. perhaps we can celebrate in ireland .

As an Irish citizen, I have a lot of sympathy with this. I still say that England should have a day's holiday for its adopted patron saint.

That said, until the breweries picked up on the Irish diaspora's potential for an extra day's excess, when it became "OK" to be Irish in the UK, it was quite dangerous for Irish people to celebrate one of our holidays.

Realistically, it is an excuse for a day (or two) on the black stuff. The English don't celebrate it, as much as just get hammered.

For the Irish diaspora, it's a day when we can get away with being Irish; we can carry the flag; we can party as much as we like. Remember we're a different country now, but with millions of people who are Irish outside of the UK and ROI.

Lots deported, lest we forget.

Personally, I'd settle for celebrating with Scottish water of life on St Andrew's Day, and Felinfoel Double Dragon on St David's Day too, outlets permitting ;)

Archived