St Patrick - Why are we celebrating and what did he do?

The War of Independence allowed the Irish, for the first time, the freedom to write about themselves without fear of murder, deportation, prison or execution. Not sure if the word romanticised could be used to describe this new found freedom. The Civil War was a direct result of British policies and rule.

Oh come on don't be stupid. There were plenty of people who did use that new freedom yes, but not all of them wrote fanciful romanticized works like MacManus. Just because people had new freedom to write things that they couldn't before doesn't mean it will all be accurate, well researched or reliable. It just means they couldn't write about it before.

For a practical example of this romanticization by some elements of the movement for independence look at De Valera - he stymied Ireland's economic development massively and left it trailing the rest of western Europe because he wanted Ireland to be some kind of pastoral idyll with no industry and dancing and the cross roads and beggorah. And he was only a plastic an all and as much Spanish as he was Irish.

St Patricks day...

There are celebrations all over the city, but I don't actually know what he did. I know that he is Irish, but what was his particular talent?

Was he particually talented in getting drunk?

If he was famous for something else, then why is he celebrated in that way?

He wasnt Irish, he was Welsh believe it or not.

I'm all for celebrating!! Guinness or Irish whiskey for the Irish. Scottish whisky for the Scots (of course). A light, hoppy real ale for the English. And a leek for the Welsh.

I agree, especially the Leek part:hihi:

I am half Irish. But it wouldn`t occur to me to celebrate St Patrick`s day. I am always mighty puzzled by the reluctance of English people to celebrate their own culture. There is only one Guinness, but there are innumerable Real Ales. What a heritage!

Oh come on don't be stupid. There were plenty of people who did use that new freedom yes, but not all of them wrote fanciful romanticized works like MacManus. Just because people had new freedom to write things that they couldn't before doesn't mean it will all be accurate, well researched or reliable. It just means they couldn't write about it before.

For a practical example of this romanticization by some elements of the movement for independence look at De Valera - he stymied Ireland's economic development massively and left it trailing the rest of western Europe because he wanted Ireland to be some kind of pastoral idyll with no industry and dancing and the cross roads and beggorah. And he was only a plastic an all and as much Spanish as he was Irish.

You have simply reiterated that the work of McManus is romanticised. To keep saying it does not actually prove it, bit like politicians really, say it loud and with conviction and ergo....it's true. It requires some reasoned argument to present your case (calling me stupid isn't really a well thought out presentation)

De Valera was born in New York. He had little chance of producing a burgeoning economy. Ireland was a rural community with no mineral wealth and very little financial power, all of which were required during the Industrial era. The only heavy industry found in Ireland was in 6 of the 9 counties of Ulster all conveniently under British rule. Once the Technological Age took over, a well-educated populace and the Irish Government's tax incentives to foreign companies created vast development in the country, making it at one point richer than GB.

I will try to enlighten you a little- but I bet there may be someone on here to correct me if I get my facts wrong.

Patrick wasn't Irish- but Welsh, and legend has it that he was kidnapped and taken to Ireland as a boy because he was from a wealthy (Patrician) possibly Roman (all this happened a long time ago!) family.

I think the ransom was paid because Patrick went back to Ireland later in his life to preach the gospel and convert the Irish (they were a wild and Godless lot), and amongst other things he was known for ridding Ireland of snakes (there aren't any to this day), and using the shamrock to illustrate the doctrine of the Trinity- hence the shamrock being a symbol of Irishness.

Patrick was very successful at converting the Irish to Christianity, hence his popularity and his being the patron saint of the country.

I'm not sure why his feast is on the 17th March- but I'm sure someone does.

St Patrick's day became a symbol of Irish identity because they had practically all of their culture destroyed by the English, and this was something that separated them from their English overlords.

We all celebrate this feast now, because we all have a bit of Irish in us somewhere, and it's a good excuse to drink Guiness and play a bit of fiddle music.

Hope this has enlightened you and if anyone has anything else to add, then feel free!!

I beleive he was born in Scotland in the Bowling Hills near Old Kilpatrick.

St Patricks day...

There are celebrations all over the city, but I don't actually know what he did. I know that he is Irish, but what was his particular talent?

Was he particually talented in getting drunk?

If he was famous for something else, then why is he celebrated in that way?

hes actually English/Scotish and went to Ireland to convert them.

Archived