St Patrick - Why are we celebrating and what did he do?

Patrick was born somewhere up north.

Some would have him born in Scotland and others around Carlisle.

17th March is the accepted date of his death.

I always believed him to be cumbrian,taken to ireland as a slave he studied the religion of his captors and as he was later given his freedom he studied as a monk ,he was told by the pope he must travel as a missionary to teach the heathen the word of the lord, converting many here in england along with the help of other missioneries he was said to have brought christianity to england

It's the day when all Americans fantasise that they have Irish blood somewhere along the line!

(just kidding, not ALL of them do)

A large percentage of them do. Obama's great, great grandfather came from Ireland. The O'Bama clan came from Donegal originally

St Patricks day...

There are celebrations all over the city, but I don't actually know what he did. I know that he is Irish, but what was his particular talent?

Was he particually talented in getting drunk?

If he was famous for something else, then why is he celebrated in that way?

I think he was named after a church or maybe a school.:huh:

wahey , lets have a saint day every day :)

Almost every day of the year is a Saint's day for some saint or other. In fact, Christmas day might be the only day of the entire year that is not.

I didn't know about saints' days being abolished during holy week until I read this thread.

This thread is incredibly cynical. I hate the 'plastic Paddies' as much as the rest of us but any reason to go out and have a good time is ok with me

Seems the same every year. There is an incredible amount of insecurity knocking around!

I'm Irish and never really celebrated St Patrick's Day too much. Maybe out for a few drinks with mates, but certainly no green and no jigging! This year I was in the States for St Paddy's Day and I have never seen anything like it....people dressed up as leprachauns all over the place & Irish "heritage" being flaunted to anyone who would listen. Can anyone explain to me how it is possible to be one third irish??? You'd be amazed how many americans claim to be 1/3 irish. :D

I suppose if you had three Irish great grandparents you would be close enough to a third Irish to not be lying. The time scale would fit too.

Archived