Family tree - Beetenson

I am trying to create my family tree. I am stuck near the beginning, at my maternal grandmother. Her name was Caroline Beetenson and she gave birth to my mother in Sheffield in 1945. My mother was fostered from an early age. Her father's surname was Glaves and there is a lot of information about the Glaves family history but I haven't been able to find anything about my maternal grandmother Caroline Beetenson except that someone with that name was born in Sheffield in 1903. I would be very grateful for any more information about her or her family.

Thank you from Jean and Rachel

Hi Jean& Rach,

This looks like the family she was born into in 1903

Lydia Beetenson

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1900

Relation: Daughter

Father's Name: Ebenezer

Mother's Name: Mary

Where born: Sheffield, Yorkshire, England

Civil Parish: Attercliffe Cum Darnall

Ecclesiastical parish: Carbrook St Bartholomew

County/Island: Yorkshire

Household Members:

Name Age

Ebenezer Beetenson 45

Ebenezer Beetenson 15

Frederick Beetenson 7

Jane Beetenson 4

Joseph Beetenson 11

Lydia Beetenson 1

Mary Beetenson 45

Mary Beetenson 18

Hi Jean and Rachel

This is the birth registration record on the General Record Office index for Caroline Beetenson's birth:-

Name: Caroline Beetenson

Year of Registration: 1903

Quarter of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec

District: Sheffield

County: South Yorkshire, Yorkshire - West Riding

Volume: 9c

Page: 713

To find out her parents you would need to send off for the birth certificate, which can be done online. The birth certificate will give the mother's name including her maiden name, and the father's name. Once you have her mother and father you can track them back on census records starting with the 1901 census. On the 1901 census there are 2 families which look as though they could be possibilities, but it is impossible to say until you have the names of the parents, as others could have got married or moved into the area in the intervening years.

Beetenson is a relatively rare surname with only 39 people with that name showing on the 1901 census countrywide, and only 2 families in Sheffield at that time.

I hope this helps :)

Thank you so much for the suggestions everyone. My mother has just got her own birth certificate, which she seemed to have had some trouble getting, I guess because she was adopted in 1945. She read it to me over the telephone last night after I got all your messages from the forum, and it says she was born in Sheffield in 1942 and it names her father as Frank Glaves and her mother as Caroline Glaves and it gives her mother's maiden name as Beetenson. They lived in Sheffield, at somewhere called Far View. My mother says that when she was a child she heard someone saying that her parents had both died of tuberculosis and that her father was Frank Glaves and that he had been a coal seller. She doesn't know if it's true that they both died or if her parents were married or really lived together, as people didn't tell her anything. Is there a way that I can make sure that the Caroline Beetenson who was born in1903 is the only Caroline Beetenson / Glaves who was alive in Sheffield in 1942 and is therefore my mother's mother?

The next step is to send off for the marriage certificate for Caroline Beetenson and Frank Glaves which will give the father's names and occupations for both Caroline and Frank, and their addresses on marriage. Witnesses names are often useful too.

I had a quick search for you and found the marriage:-

Dec Qtr 1930

Caroline Beetenson married Frank Glaves in Sheffield registration district. GRO ref 9c 1023.

As they married in 1930, it seems to me unlikely that your mother was their first child - is your mum prepared to find siblings?

If you search the GRO from 1930 onwards for births with the surname Glaves, mothers surname Beetenson, you should be able to find any siblings.

Wow Hennypenny that's fantastic! My Mum thought that they maybe weren't married as people wouldn't seem to talk about them, and this will really cheer her up a lot! Thank you! Also have been searching for the possible death all morning and while posting this have just read your suggestion for that so thank you again.

Archived