'Affinity' has changed ownership

Carborundum

Hello, i just wanted to clarify re my post above, that i just think that you eother need to have a campy, fun, lively venue with lots of drag, dancing, go go boys, can can, moulin rouge, conga-ing up and down the street, plastic glasses, dry ice, whirling crazy phnatasmagoria of a venue, OR you have a laid back, trendy, foody, spot which might be a little like, say takapuna, runaway girl, etc but a bit gayer. I reckon the weakness of lots of gay venues which have tried in sheffield is they are often the only, or one of very few, they try to be all things to all people and fall flat. I think we can easilly support a trdaitional pub (lions lair) trendy wine bar type (affinity sans cabaret) traditional old school all day gay bar (dempseys) after hours hang out (xes) plus a crazy drag cabaret place, plus other 'niche' places.

Hello, i just wanted to clarify re my post above, that i just think that you eother need to have a campy, fun, lively venue with lots of drag, dancing, go go boys, can can, moulin rouge, conga-ing up and down the street, plastic glasses, dry ice, whirling crazy phnatasmagoria of a venue, OR you have a laid back, trendy, foody, spot which might be a little like, say takapuna, runaway girl, etc but a bit gayer. I reckon the weakness of lots of gay venues which have tried in sheffield is they are often the only, or one of very few, they try to be all things to all people and fall flat. I think we can easilly support a trdaitional pub (lions lair) trendy wine bar type (affinity sans cabaret) traditional old school all day gay bar (dempseys) after hours hang out (xes) plus a crazy drag cabaret place, plus other 'niche' places.

Craig, your points about how to build the perfect scene are definitely food for thought...

I believe the priority is to encourage more 'Gay' and gay-friendly venues around the Cultural Industries Quarter; shame about Fuel, because that could have been an 'anchor' venue for such a venture. Still, dempseys is also near enough to be an anchor venue for a 'Gay Quarter', but at the end of the day, it is up to YOU, the LOCAL customers, to support and GET INVOLVED in your local gay venues.

The Achilles Heel of Fuel (and to a certain extent Affinity) was that they ignored a great deal of easily accessible local talent, and blew a fortune on importing a whole clubfull of entertainers from Hull!!!

Now, who WILL open that long-sought-after Drag Cabaret venue with AT LEAST ONE WEEKLY Drag Show, mixing both traditional 'old-school' drag mime such as done by Tony and Martin in Dempseys, and shocking, new innovative material, such as done by myself and some of Ralph Razor's other friends..!:hihi:

Maybe they have, but the area manager has offered my business partner a viewing and access to the barrelage history on the 7th. Seems odd he would waste his time showing other interested parties if it has already been let.

As long as it stays open for the gay community Im sure everyone will be happy, I am quite surprised at the level of rent they want. What someone needs to do is keep it upmarket gay friendly at night, but those closed hrs during the day with no kitchen are surely a no brainer, open at 12 get a chef and do food there are literally thousands of office workers within 300 yards.

Seems my sources were right.. good look to them they got some interesting plans for the place, vastly different to what people are suggesting on here... good luck guys.

So SPider Pete I believe you were out last night - did you go to the Mr Gay uk heat there ? Give us all a write up if you did and what is it like under new management ... when you have recovered from the hangover dear ;-)

We didnt go in the end, went straight to Dempseys from the pub we were in.

Archived