Memories of The Stonehouse Pub

Trekker

I first went into the Stonehouse aged 16 with friends to celebrate leaving school. I remember the courtyard and what I believed at the time to be open to the night sky above me. I didn't realise it was the ceiling at the time! But I was very drunk, and my only other memory of that night was being sick behind one of the bandit machines!!!

Stonehouse Pub Memories

Here is another pic of … A Berni Inn. The snap was taken 5 years after the one Mester Hillsbro kindly put on.

Judging by the L-Plates outside the eatery I presume there was a learner-school for motorbike riding nearby.

The mother of a mate of mine – Leonard (Len) Southern worked here late 60s-ealy 70s. Len had a sister called Sonia. They lived on the Hollybank estate, behind the Rex Flicks, in Intek. Len later worked as a Commis waiter at the Grosvenor Hotel in Sheffield 1970ish.

Ontarian.

Berni Inns had lovely steaks. Unfortunately, there were:

No Bison steaks

No Buffalo steaks

No Caribou steaks fresh from Cariboo

No Moose steaks fresh from Moose Jaw…

All not served with chips and mushy peas. Sorry Sir.

Here is the drinks price list from 1971:

--

Now back on topic…I used to sup in the Stonehouse with a mate called John. He later emigrated to OZ in 1974.

Stonehouse Pub Memories

Here is another pic of … A Berni Inn. The snap was taken 5 years after the one Mester Hillsbro kindly put on.

Judging by the L-Plates outside the eatery I presume there was a learner-school for motorbike riding nearby.

The mother of a mate of mine – Leonard (Len) Southern worked here late 60s-ealy 70s. Len had a sister called Sonia. They lived on the Hollybank estate, behind the Rex Flicks, in Intek. Len later worked as a Commis waiter at the Grosvenor Hotel in Sheffield 1970ish.

Ontarian.

Berni Inns had lovely steaks. Unfortunately, there were:

No Bison steaks

No Buffalo steaks

No Caribou steaks fresh from Cariboo

No Moose steaks fresh from Moose Jaw…

All not served with chips and mushy peas. Sorry Sir.

Here is the drinks price list from 1971:

--

Now back on topic…I used to sup in the Stonehouse with a mate called John. He later emigrated to OZ in 1974.

No Horse steaks from Thirsk? :P

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...

I'm trying to find out about the history of the Stone House. I understand the 'themed' Stone House opened in 1971 with the earlier pub being around on the same site before that. Now this is the bit I'm not sure about- was the old pub heavily remodelled to incorporate/ extend the new pub with the famous cobble street scene etc or completely demolished and rebuilt? I know further changes came when Orchard Sq was built but I'm struggling to find any info about the earlier Stone House and what happened when the new themed one was opened. Can anyone help?