Sheffield Boys football 1950s

Hi Chairboy,

Can you display the photo?

The year I know would be 1963, not the best footballing side but very good looking!!

regards

Geoff

Hi Geoff, In a word "No" - the Christmas tree has deposed the scanner!

Sure you're right, 1963, England beat Northern Ireland 4-0. I have the Rothmans annuals but can't see evidence of teams. Might contact the F.A.

Anyway - apologies for the deviation from Sheffield Boys - just an aside as Badger and Shaw look (were) so young on the picture.

I new Johnny Gray and Mick "Sam" Clarke who played in the late 50s but have not seen them for over twenty years. I know Dave "Bronco"Layne was bought by Wednesday from Bradford City so he may not been a Sheffield schoolboy

As Chairboy says, David Layne was a Sheffield lad, and he certainly played for Sheffield Boys. In fact, he was one of the products of Tinsley, and I am fairly sure he did begin at Rotherham, who let him go to Swindon --which is where he was first dubbed "Bronco". David went to the same school as Godon Banks. In fact, David still lives in the East End, not far from Meadowhall shopping centre.

The England youth team Chairboy mentions rings a bell, and I vaguely recall the picture to which he refers, but I can't put a date to it. Bernard Shaw grew up in the Southey Green area, but he may have been born in Pitsmoor/Burngreave, for his brother Graham was at one time at Pye Bank School. Anyway, Bernard was no doubt a Southey schoolboy, while Len Badger was at Coleridge Road. In footballing terms, Bernard and Len grew up together and from schoolboy days gained honours together --though I think Bernard had some sort of health problem at one stage and it slightly hampered his development. Len, of course, went on to become one of the youngest captains in Sheffield United's history.

I think both Len Badger and Bernard Shaw were given their first team debuts at United in recognition of the England Youth honour. I can't see that happening today, but I think that was the case. I remember United had a very good youth set up then. Although I was a few years behind age wise, I watched from across the City and the future for the Blades looked very bright.

I went to Wincobank school until 1956. Wincobank lads who played for

Sheffield were Brian Richardson ( who was also an excellent cricketer),

Roy Flavel, Albert Nelson and Roy Wall. Roy unfortunately got killed on the railway lines between Blackburn and Wincobank when he was around sixteen.

He had already signed up with Sheffield Wednesday. I think Albert Nelson went to Birmingham City straight after leaving school.The sports teacher at

Wincobank school, Mr. Andrews, was also the Sheffield boys coach.

Roy Flavel, Albert Nelson and Roy Wall. Roy unfortunately got killed on the railway lines between Blackburn and Wincobank when he was around sixteen.

He had already signed up with Sheffield Wednesday. I think Albert Nelson went to Birmingham City straight after leaving school.The sports teacher at

This was where my uncle was from, Dave Worthington who played for them.

Around 1955 he got married so im presuming it would have been late 1940s when he played for them. Strangely enough my aunt died on that same rail track.

David Storf used to play 'park' football occasionally with us lads in Millhouses Park in the late 50's. He will be about 65 now. Signed up for the Fowls Juniors but no record of him playing for the first team. Went on to play for Rochdale and Barrow. May well have played for Sheffield Boys.

David Storf used to play 'park' football occasionally with us lads in Millhouses Park in the late 50's. He will be about 65 now. Signed up for the Fowls Juniors but no record of him playing for the first team. Went on to play for Rochdale and Barrow. May well have played for Sheffield Boys.

Was he not called Storth?

My apologies Old Rowley, seemingly not!

David A. Storf was born on 4th Dec 1943, and was a Sheffield Wednesday junior (which suggests he played for Sheffield Boys). An outside left, he never made the first team at Hillsborough. He joined Rochdale in 1963, and played 138 League games for them, scoring 19 goals. He joined Barrow in 1967, and played 158 League games for them, scoring 26 goals. Anybody know where he is now? What part of Sheffield did he grow up in?

Archived