Sheffield Boys football 1950s

I suggest you try 'Sharrowblade's Flickr web site'. It has a number of team sheets from schoolboy matches from the 50s complete with schools attended. You will find many of the names already mentioned.

Much appreciated Sonofsharrow, this brought back lots of happy memories.

Jim Tyree

• 5 months later...
I think you ought to e-mail The Star with a plea for any of your old Sheffield Boys pals to get in touch. There is a sort of Where are they now? column in ther paper ever Saty night, and I think Fiona Firth now runs it. Write to Fiona.Firth@sheffieldnewspapers.co.uk --I am sure you'll get a response.

As for Branni, another Christmas has passed without hearing from him, so I guess that's it, such is football!

thank you for this email address - it may help me in searching for info on my Dads (A.Stevenson) old rugby team from 1946ish - we found a photo clip from a newspaper with him in it and the rest of the team - stating that it was the first time in history Sheffield has had a representative schoolboys rugby team ages 15 - so thank you

also had a team list of names in it

back row - E.Emmett, D.Gullick, C.Clay, T.Williams, A.Sugden, H.Hedley

centre - N.Oxley, A.Bennett, L.Carson, RW.Reany, R.Howson

front - A.Knowles, A.STEVENSON, D.Wallace, D.Gambles, D.Lees

and Adults in photo were

Left - Mr WA.Thomas, Mr WF.Burke (referee), Mr W.Golledge,

centre back - Mr A.Dow

Right - Mr GA.Allen, Mr WK.George, Mr GB.Thomas

So im gonna put this on Sheffield History site too

As Chairboy says, David Layne was a Sheffield lad, and he certainly played for Sheffield Boys. In fact, he was one of the products of Tinsley, and I am fairly sure he did begin at Rotherham, who let him go to Swindon --which is where he was first dubbed "Bronco". David went to the same school as Godon Banks. In fact, David still lives in the East End, not far from Meadowhall shopping centre.

The England youth team Chairboy mentions rings a bell, and I vaguely recall the picture to which he refers, but I can't put a date to it. Bernard Shaw grew up in the Southey Green area, but he may have been born in Pitsmoor/Burngreave, for his brother Graham was at one time at Pye Bank School. Anyway, Bernard was no doubt a Southey schoolboy, while Len Badger was at Coleridge Road. In footballing terms, Bernard and Len grew up together and from schoolboy days gained honours together --though I think Bernard had some sort of health problem at one stage and it slightly hampered his development. Len, of course, went on to become one of the youngest captains in Sheffield United's history.

I can vouch for the fact that Bernard Shaw, Graham's brother, was born in Pitsmoor. Fowler Street to be exact. We would occasionaly go down Fowler from Hayward Road to get Graham involved in a kick about in the street. Bernard was around and he always struck me as a 'mardy' little b*****r. Nobody ever mentions how good Graham was as a boxer. He would've made a good middleweight. I can't remember when the family moved from the area, it must've been in the '40's.

I can vouch for the fact that Bernard Shaw, Graham's brother, was born in Pitsmoor. Fowler Street to be exact. We would occasionaly go down Fowler from Hayward Road to get Graham involved in a kick about in the street. Bernard was around and he always struck me as a 'mardy' little b*****r. Nobody ever mentions how good Graham was as a boxer. He would've made a good middleweight. I can't remember when the family moved from the area, it must've been in the '40's.

+hiya can anybody tell me the year(s) albert quixall played for sheffield boys as i went to a match between maynell rd and springfield schools at the city surveyors ground in the late 1940s , playing for springfield were the yosper bros ,ben and gordon, i was aroud 10 at the time

+hiya can anybody tell me the year(s) albert quixall played for sheffield boys as i went to a match between maynell rd and springfield schools at the city surveyors ground in the late 1940s , playing for springfield were the yosper bros ,ben and gordon, i was around 10 at the time

David A. Storf was born on 4th Dec 1943, and was a Sheffield Wednesday junior (which suggests he played for Sheffield Boys). An outside left, he never made the first team at Hillsborough. He joined Rochdale in 1963, and played 138 League games for them, scoring 19 goals. He joined Barrow in 1967, and played 158 League games for them, scoring 26 goals. Anybody know where he is now? What part of Sheffield did he grow up in?

David still attends most Owls home games along with his son also called David who lives in Hillsbro.

My dad played for sheffield boys in the late forties, ill find out the picture of the team after they won the schoolboys trophy. they stayed in the same hotel as the newcastle team, who had just won the fa cup. i think jimmy seed and jimmy trotter are on the photo

Archived