Village Idiot - Do you have one?

Do you have someone that lives in your immediate area that would be classed as strange, unusual, eccentric, oddball or whatever? I am talking about the local village idiot or want for a better description who has become infamous through their unusual behaviour, whatever that might be, and is well known throughout your village/town/district.

The reason I have brought this up is cos I was having a chat with some friends the other day and I was telling them about this dude that lived in my village who was known to the locals as Barmy Brian. The name derived from him being called Brian and the fact that he had a strange habit of wearing pants on his head. Anyway, these friends of mine then told me about someone that lived in their town that was a tad bit strange. Seems every town, village, city across this country has someone similar to the person I mentioned.

Over to you.

Do you have someone that lives in your immediate area that would be classed as strange, unusual, eccentric, oddball or whatever? I am talking about the local village idiot or want for a better description who has become infamous through their unusual behaviour, whatever that might be, and is well known throughout your village/town/district.

The reason I have brought this up is cos I was having a chat with some friends the other day and I was telling them about this dude that lived in my village who was known to the locals as Barmy Brian. The name derived from him being called Brian and the fact that he had a strange habit of wearing pants on his head. Anyway, these friends of mine then told me about someone that lived in their town that was a tad bit strange. Seems every town, village, city across this country has someone similar to the person I mentioned.

Over to you.

Woodhouse seems to be full of them. I know one in particular but wont name him

I think everyone will know - by sight if not better - a local person who suffers some degree of mental handicap (I'm sorry, they change the "nice" term so often I don't even bother to keep track of what it is.) There's at least two of them live near me.

Of course we don't usually refer to them as the village idiot any more; we've made progress, and recognise mental disfunction as being entirely different from mere idiocy. If you're referring to the sort of people that Jasper Carrott labelled "The Nutter On The Bus" ... those are less common, but lord knows there's plenty of them :rolleyes:

Woodhouse seems to be full of them. I know one in particular but wont name him

Yeah, best not name and shame... only reason I did is cos I didnt refer to the location and it is possible the said person is dead now as this was going back at least 20 odd years.

Anyway, can you list the odd behaviour?

Archived