Village Idiot - Do you have one?

Do you have someone that lives in your immediate area that would be classed as strange, unusual, eccentric, oddball or whatever? I am talking about the local village idiot or want for a better description who has become infamous through their unusual behaviour, whatever that might be, and is well known throughout your village/town/district.

The reason I have brought this up is cos I was having a chat with some friends the other day and I was telling them about this dude that lived in my village who was known to the locals as Barmy Brian. The name derived from him being called Brian and the fact that he had a strange habit of wearing pants on his head. Anyway, these friends of mine then told me about someone that lived in their town that was a tad bit strange. Seems every town, village, city across this country has someone similar to the person I mentioned.

Over to you.

You mean everyone doesn't do that. Oh dear:blush:

I hate the term "village idiot", my dad used to call my brothers this, it is so degrading, you shouldnt call anyone this, just because they are a tad "eccentric" :rant:

I used other words to reference it too... I dont particularly like the term, but I was trying to make a point :)

I have heard about a man called Mr Trousers in the Hillsborough area who has the pleasant habbit of dropping his trousers and defecating on pavements. Apparently he is mentally ill though so it would be in poor taste to say too much.

edit - he has just got a job under the Governments welfare to work programme and is now a waiter at the Ritz in London.

Do you have someone that lives in your immediate area that would be classed as strange, unusual, eccentric, oddball or whatever? I am talking about the local village idiot or want for a better description who has become infamous through their unusual behaviour, whatever that might be, and is well known throughout your village/town/district.

The reason I have brought this up is cos I was having a chat with some friends the other day and I was telling them about this dude that lived in my village who was known to the locals as Barmy Brian. The name derived from him being called Brian and the fact that he had a strange habit of wearing pants on his head. Anyway, these friends of mine then told me about someone that lived in their town that was a tad bit strange. Seems every town, village, city across this country has someone similar to the person I mentioned.

Over to you.

There's a large breeding colony of village idiots up in Stocksbridge. I understand the WWF are managing a captive breeding program to prevent the gene pool growing and diluting the species.

There is also a managed release scheme where proper full blooded idiots are being introduced into areas of Sheffield lacking in any form of idiocy. It is hoped that the selective release of one or two "daft buggers" a particularly virulent form of idiot, will cause these areas to lighten up a bit, help the indigenous population to get a life and remove their collective heads from where the sun don't shine.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived