Memories of maud maxfield and deaf unit

snout

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...
My comprehensive, High Storrs, had a "PHU " (Partial Hearing Unit) for deaf pupils, linked to MMSD. The Pupils used to go to MMSD for part of their lessons each week.

I don't believe that was ever the case.

Certainly not in the years I was there and we were both at High Storrs at the same years.

The PHU was in two small rooms in Hoffman house and was only really used for English / extra English and any subject we had difficulty with.

If you were not good at English then you took your English lesson in that room instead of taking English with everyone else.

I don't think anyone ever spent any more than 6 hours per week taking lessons in there. It had two dedicated teachers so there was no reason to send student outside of HS.

There was a connection between MMSD and Greystones Middle School PHU but that only to share TAXI getting to school and which student was picked up was based on where each student lived at either school.

I think the school was built by Ackroyd & Abbot.

At the age of 15 I worked there for a couple of days after it was occupied.

I remember caulking the windows outside and communicating with some of the senior girls through the glass.Of course they could lip read what I was saying but I did not know what they were saying,sigh!

I seem to remember it was a residential school