Memories of Wigfalls

Sad to say, Eric died in November last year.

Sad to hear that about Eric he was a decent bloke, I can remember when I first met him I was a bit shocked to see he had only one arm ,it never seemed to bother him he always amazed me how he did things .

• 2 weeks later...

hi all,

i left school in 1983 and did my yts with wigfalls based at fitzallen square, i was actually in the building when the fire happened, i was 17 and it was the most frightening experience i have had, if you can remember it was on 5 floors with a staircase in the middle of the building, the fire started on the lower ground which was the furniture department, by the time all customers had been cleaared out of the shop, it was well alight and the flames were rushing up the staircase, about 6 of us had to break the front doors open as the fire was causing a vacuum inside the building, luckily i dont remember anyone being seriously hurt, 1 gentleman did get some light facial burns i think, after the fire i was redeployed to other branches in sheffield which were, haymarket, the moor, firth park, darnall, woodseats rd and hillsborough. i cant rememeber names but they did have some characters, i remember 1 chap who used to be in the music scene and actually brought the human league in one day and a guy named john who i saw later in dixons on the moor he was a nice chap must be near retirement now i think?

Does anyone remember Julie who worked in the offices at Wigfalls, first in Fitzalan square, and then at the Wicker? She was a punk girl and went out with a lad called Darren at the time.I would like to get back in touch with her if anyone knows her, she was at my wedding and came to the hospital after the birth of my son.

My Husband david martin started at wigfalls at 15years old he worked with dennis morrell he taught him the tv.trade his brother barrie also was an engineer other names I remember were Bernard Bamforth.Paul Feirman Roy Surr,Willis,Paul,Jock.My Grandmother used to clean for the Morrells does anyone remember the dinner dances at the City Hall put on by Wigfalls at Christmas?Also Brian Egglington he was a salesman.They were a good company to work for

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I'm Peter Hemmingfield who used to be the Legal Department Manager.

I remember my times at Wigfalls very fondly and also my memories of those who worked with me, including Ellen Barnes (who I had a "soft spot" for!)

Christine and me got divorced in about 1981/82 and I have seen her since when she won "The Weakest Link" on BBC!

I'm now Manager of a Debt Advice Team at a firm of Sheffield solicitors.

Love to all that know/knew me (especially Ellen!)

My Husband david martin started at wigfalls at 15years old he worked with dennis morrell he taught him the tv.trade his brother barrie also was an engineer other names I remember were Bernard Bamforth.Paul Feirman Roy Surr,Willis,Paul,Jock.My Grandmother used to clean for the Morrells does anyone remember the dinner dances at the City Hall put on by Wigfalls at Christmas?Also Brian Egglington he was a salesman.They were a good company to work for
The dances were held at the Cutlers Hall were they hired both floors, I do remember Brian Eggington have not seen him for years.

• 2 weeks later...
Patrice21457 My Uncle Willis is very much alive and kicking! I was with him a couple of weeks ago at my twin uncles 70th birthday party.He lives at Mosborough with his wife Josie.He has 2 children and 4 grandchildren.I'll pass on your hello. (:

Willis was a workmate of mine in he 60s He was our best man at our wedding. Please pass on our best regards Roy & Hilary Brown

hi all,

i left school in 1983 and did my yts with wigfalls based at fitzallen square, i was actually in the building when the fire happened, i was 17 and it was the most frightening experience i have had, if you can remember it was on 5 floors with a staircase in the middle of the building, the fire started on the lower ground which was the furniture department, by the time all customers had been cleaared out of the shop, it was well alight and the flames were rushing up the staircase, about 6 of us had to break the front doors open as the fire was causing a vacuum inside the building, luckily i dont remember anyone being seriously hurt, 1 gentleman did get some light facial burns i think, after the fire i was redeployed to other branches in sheffield which were, haymarket, the moor, firth park, darnall, woodseats rd and hillsborough. i cant rememeber names but they did have some characters, i remember 1 chap who used to be in the music scene and actually brought the human league in one day and a guy named john who i saw later in dixons on the moor he was a nice chap must be near retirement now i think?

I did my YTS at wigfalls 1981, and I remember after 6 months I asked my Manager if there was a job, to this day I still hear her words "Oh no we have to get another YTS my boss says it is so great we can get people for free"