Memories of Wigfalls

1956 Wigfalls Spital Hill, a Raleigh Lenton Cycle about £16 ish, my father got it for me on the hire purchase system so much a week.

I asked my dad if I could have a new bike about 1952/3.To my amazement he said yes (I should have known but I was only 12 !)

Sure enough he came home with one on the Saturday, also a Raleigh

from Wigfalls Hillsborough.Just as I was about to go out on it he said by the way I have got you a job delivering papers 12/6p/week the bike is only 7/6p/ a week so you can easily pay this.

A few lessons there:-

1 I appreciated it a lot more.

2 Never use HP

3 You never get owt for nowt.

Similar story for me

In 1972 I wanted a stereo record player, but I couldn't afford one, so me and my dad went into Wiggies, where I chose a lovely little unit . Fatha paid the deposit (a fiver) as a Chrimbly pressie, and I had to do the weeklies. I'm proud to say I never missed a payment, and have some beautiful memories of being up in my bedroom, smokin' Park Drive and listening to "Dark Side", "Bells" and the first Steely Dan Album, "Can't Buy A Thrill"

Din't 'ave no ipods when we were kids!!

I bet you were my manager at some point if you worked in Sheffield branches. I cut my "working" teeth in Granada TV and Video from the age of 16 to 20.
Hi Titian yiou must have been reliable most of my young trainees did not last

were you at the Moor?:)

Regarding Roy, could be Roy Crampton, he lived at the top of Rutland Rd., until he married then moved out to Chapeltown. He and John Moore operated Moore and Crampton in Ecclesfield. I believe Roy retired to live in Spain, and the last I heard John was still running the business.

A guy named Morell, can't remember his first name, married one of Wigfalls daughters, and became a company director. He drove a Jag XK 120 for his sins.

My mum bought, from wigfalls, an english electric washing machine in a beige-y almond colour. single-tub, with an electric mangle that fitted over the tub. the mangle dismantled and "lived" inside a "door" on the side of the machine when not in use.

I remember the chap who used to collect the weekly money from my mum and dad, we called him "uncle Tom". I'm sure he lived on one of the short cul de sacs, at the top of Staniforth road, in Darnall somewhere. I remember he used to give me and my sister a Sixpence, between us, to buy an icecream which we used to save, all day, till the ice-cream van came round!

My parents also bought some carpet on the "weekly" from wiggies. I still remember it vividly. red, grey and black speckled. Our living room was so massive, she needed to buy two pieces to join together to make a fit.

I remember my mum played heck with the company because she bought two living-room quality pieces, but when they were delivered they got one living-room quality and one bedroom quality, so they "wore" differently, almost straight away. one looked pristine and new (the living room quality) the other looked worn and shabby.

My Dad used to work as a service engineer for Wigfalls at their Rotherham branch around 1967 to 1969. I remember getting a bike for either my 6th or 7th birthday from there, It was a massive thing, or so it seemed to me, I was absolutley petrified of getting on it and would not go near it, which really pleased my dad. He was that pleased with me he sold it a couple of months later.