Memories of Wigfalls

• 3 weeks later...

I remember wigfalls in the sixties wene i was a boy in wakefield. They used bedford vans and where painted ivory green with yellow lettering.A guy who lived on our estate worked for them used to bring it home everynight he always left the door unlocked and i used to get in and pretend i was driving it, HEY THOSE WERE THE DAYS

I used to work for Blanchards on Infirmary Rd Sheffield , who went bankcrupt around 1978 ,Henry Wigfall and son must have had something to do with Blanchards becouse instead of being made redundant wiggis offered another colleague and myself possitions has sales clerks in their Fitzalan Sq Branch. we was trained to use NCR computerised tills, back in the 80's they were massive big monitors with giant key boards , I can remember gettin an extra fiver a week for useing the computerised tills, hundreds came in to pay for their rented tv's and other apliances , some would pay 50p a week to rent hoover's a couple of pound for the tv's and the same for the rest, I then went on to releaving across the city at all the other branches attercliffe woodseats ect, and then I think it was 1980 I was made redundant when wiggis sold out to curry's also there was the wiggis shop fire in fitzalan sq round about the same time , rumours went round bettin it was an Insurance Job , but I enjoyed working for them it was only for a few years .

• 1 month later...

i think every body in sheffield kows wiggys we had a tv from them a washing machine 5 bob a week i think thats what happened to them to many people having credit with them untill they got in debt with then and wiggys coundnt cope with it then comey, currys and other retailers came along and swpt them aside

i think every body in sheffield kows wiggys we had a tv from them a washing machine 5 bob a week i think thats what happened to them to many people having credit with them untill they got in debt with then and wiggys coundnt cope with it then comey, currys and other retailers came along and swpt them aside

You may be right, but that is the way of life my friend.

p.s

May I suggest that you re-read and spell-check your posts before sending them,

the numbers of typing errors in this one is terrible....only helping!

I knew a guy who worked for Wigfalls. Roy something or other, heavy built lad, wore glasses, lived top of Woodfold, off Rutland Road. Anyhow I think he'd worked for Wiggies from leaving school, and when Television came in, he took to the technicalities of repairing TV sets like breathing. Anyhow he lives in Australia now. Good lad he was.

Sorry it's a bit vague but someone might remember him.

Yes I remember Roy lived on Rutland Road his sir name was Crampton

John do you remember RITA,SUE,JOAN,IRENE IN thestores I beleive she pased away Roy BETTNEY, DAVE LITHERLAND,VIC WILSON, RON EASTWOOD, JOHN HOBSON,BRIAN DIXON,BARRY COULDWELL.

Yes i remember all of these names, Im Mike Smith used to work on the bench repairing audio equipment

my father worked for wigfalls most of his working life he managed spital hill branch i can remember going with him at christmas time in the seventies to assemble push bikes they came with pedals not fitted wheels etc i put them together got paid a small amount. after spital hill he managed the two shops at darnall one was electrical the other furniture i often went there puting bikes together and delivering leaflets for him he once had a circus bring an elephant there bit of extra advertising lol.after darnall he managed london road remember one of the staff there was called raymond he spent all his spare time in the bookies think he had a few problems ! remember my father once had to tell him he had bad b/o (think it was his feet) pmsl after london road closed he became an outside sales man for dixons he left through ill health anyone remember him his name was david hill

Yes I remember him my wife Jean Smith used to work in the bottom shop at Darnall