Brown Bear has reopened following renovation!

Andy C

Called in last Wednesday and a definite thumbs up from me (other breweries kindly take note).

A traditional pub in the city centre with decent, incredibly cheap ale. No blasting music, juke boxes or TVs, just a quiet welcoming pub. I was worried that they'd 'transform' it into a copy of everything else we have in the city centre.

They've done a fabulous job (including a lack of signage outside; I hope it remains this way). The pub looks great beside the cobbled street and with the little gas-type lighting in the windows. Made me think of pubs in York.

Alas, the cheap start to my day's drinking ended there. I called into Ha! Ha! and whilst I felt nice and chilled in there, the pint of Peroni was lovely...but £3.50?!!!

Is this the only Sam Smiths pub in town?

I blame much of the current parlous state of Britain's pubs on the ludicrous and draconian decision to force breweries to sell off their pubs back in the 80s. Mostly bought up by pubcos who are/were worse than the breweries.

I remember working behind the bar of the Brown Bear 20 years ago, it was there I learned how to look after cask ales the cellar was lined with casks, never had a beer come back either

Won't it have been a JOHN Smith's house then?

If you, thumbs up for your Magnet.:thumbsup:

I remember working behind the bar of the Brown Bear 20 years ago, it was there I learned how to look after cask ales the cellar was lined with casks, never had a beer come back either

I remember you behind the bar there....used to go in with 'the bird' of the time.....it was a great pub back then and superb pint of Smiths too

Archived