Brown Bear has reopened following renovation!

Andy C

I remember you behind the bar there....used to go in with 'the bird' of the time.....it was a great pub back then and superb pint of Smiths too

I started going in there about 15 years ago, usually to meet a drinking mate of mine from Crookes, dear old Scottish Rod, who was from Inverness.

Poor bugger's dead now. I went in quite a lot in its first incarnation as a Sam Smith's pub as well.

I remember you behind the bar there....used to go in with 'the bird' of the time.....it was a great pub back then and superb pint of Smiths too

Like i said i never had a pint come back when i was in charge of the cellar, Whatever job i do, i do to the best of my abilities

It's nice to know that the beer i served was good

Like i said i never had a pint come back when i was in charge of the cellar, Whatever job i do, i do to the best of my abilities

It's nice to know that the beer i served was good

Well, it was in the national Good Beer Guide for a while. John Smith's, Magnet, Courage Directors, and another from the S&N repertoire as I recall from the first time I went in.

It is not often you go back to a pub that you love that has been done up and think it's better. They have done a really good job on the place. Pity about the lack of smoking area which is fair enough as it did look like stalag19 before hand. Beer still cheap and quality. Toilets clean and fresh. Pity about the lack of proper coal in the fires ( bloody clean air act) and pity about the member of barstaff who was sat at bar when she wasn't on duty getting ****** and thought she could take the **** out of me because of the way I look and also take the residue of my mates pint before she had finished with it.

All in all I'm surprised, it has all the bits of pubs I like. No TV, no jukebox, FIRE (yay), decent toilets, cracking beer as always.

Good job all round and good to get one of the few decent pubs in the city centre back.

Archived