Iconic Symbols Of Sheffield

Tony the sheffield village thing is so true.

I had this theory if you were to name anyone my own age born in sheffield, I would know someone who knew them or had a connection to them.

The problem is nowadays, I can't always remember my kids names besides that I don't get out much.

Definitely Rivelin Valley; Fargate Telegraph & Star building; The Magnet pub (hubby's choice); Sheffield Cathedral; Sheffield Wednesday Football ground; Hillsbrough Park in May; The Sheffield markets; Henderson's relish (nothing comperes); The old pub down Dixon Lane (forgot the name - was Mry Queen o Scots favourite pub).

I alwys like the two main railway stations: the mighty Midland, which I thought was built with black bricks until they cleaned it sometime in the mid- '60s, and little Victoria, hidden away and a bit down-at-heel but still fascinating.

I'll get me anorak...

Sydneygirl

I think its the Norfolk Arms on Dixon Lane But with the best will in the world I can't imagine MQoS getting in there.

I suppose there could be tales of her popping into the old queens head in pond st. for a swift half with the postmen or the coach drivers setting off for london.

I haven't lived in Sheffield for many years but a few of my icons would be the City Hall,

and the Wicker Arches plus all the stonework arches that supported the railway toward Neepsend and going the other way. In fact any stonework associated with the railway era. The whitehouse chipshop,(you know the one I mean). Definately the old cooling towers at Tinsley.

And I would like to see Sheffield Council erect a good solid memorial to the old residents of Woodside Lane, Birley St, Fowler, Grove, Marshall St's, Pitsmoor and Hayward Roads and all the streets in between. Then knock down the old Town Hall and put a high rise in place of it and let 'em work in that. Man, I hated that building, the only decent thing was old Vulcan on the top. Save him.

Cooling towers

Hillsborough

The high rises that you used to be able to see loads of from town

Park hill

Graves park

The Hundreds of Amazing views that i never tire of seeing win it though

Archived