Advice wanted on half marathon running!

Kthebean

I did the half marathon three years(?) ago, and I'm planning on doing it again this year. I'm aiming to go out running for at least an hour 2 or 3 times a week to prepare for it. Not managing it at the moment, as I have had a chest infection for the last few weeks though.

I did the Sheffield Half last year.

Good tips:

1) Find a training buddy or group ... so you can train up for it together.

2) Like Lickzz says, make sure you can do a 13 mile run (the last few miles take their toll).

3) Don't change foot wear (socks / shoes) at last moment.

4) Make sure you have good running shoes that fit you.

5) Don't start off too fast, relax, and start off easy (I mean during the actual race).

6) Loads of carbs (pasta / rice / veg) on the build up to the race.

Good points above.

During the actual half marathon make sure you take on plenty of water at feeding stations and make use of St. Johns if need be.

Don't try to keep up with others whom are used to running faster times. I got talking to a runner during a full marathon and decided to keep with him and after about 11 miles I found out that he was used to running sub 3 hours for a marathon which was beyond anything I'd ever ran at that time. Although I slowed down the damage was done and I ended up almost crawling home the last few miles in great pain.

Good on yer! I did the Sheffield Half Marathon in 1987 (when the route took you down the East End and to Ecclesfield) and again in 1997. Both were good runs, but I ran the far quicker time in 1987 because I was 17 and had been training for longer. So rule one is to be prepared to put the hours in, come rain or shine.

I'm fortunate enough to live near open countryside, so my typical week would be a couple or three six mile runs (usually taking about 45 minutes and always including some good hills), working up to a run of about ten miles once a week with some shorter runs inbetween.

At the time I lived in Fulwood, so my six mile run was to Broomhill, then up to Hallam and back home through Blackbrook and Fulwood Village. An eight mile run would take me to Redmires Dam and back; a ten miler was out to Hollow Meadows on the A57. I trained hard! It paid off, because when I did the 1987 half-marathon I was very disappointed I hadn't gone in for the full one. (Infact, I think you have to be 18 to do the full, don't you?)

On both occasions, '87 and 97' I ran the circuit on my own at least once, before the actual run itself. That way you know in advance what lies ahead and what kind of time you should aim for, which is useful when lining up at the start.

I wish I could get back into it! My best advice is to get out into the countryside because you'll forget you're even running as you take in the scenery. I never felt fitter, physically and most certainly, mentally. I used to call my runs the Filing Cabinet because whilst I was out on my own I could sort out everything in my life. Seriously!

And above all else, make sure you enjoy it. I did!

I'm running the half-marathon as practice for the full one that I'll be running later on. All the suggestions were good, and I would also say that it's pretty important to make sure you have a well balanced diet (you'll need those carbs) and a good pair of running shoes. And drink that water! Lots of it.

If you do some searching on the net you'll find plenty of good advice and training schedules if you need some guidance with getting prepared.

Archived