Potty training megathread

Faye12

If anyone is very concerned about bedwetting, day wetting, toilet training, constipation (re your own child that is!) there is a consultant led clinic in sheffield,linked to Ryegate and you can self refer. Call 0114 226 2076 if you want to talk to someone :)

My sisters youngest two lads are severely learning disabled, the younger boy, particularly, is fifteen, but has a mental age of only 20 months or so.

The hospital/ consultant he's under (Calow at Chesterfield) and my sis are trying to get him "clean" (he is doubly incontinent) it's a total nightmare.

I think Zebra's original post was intended about the children who have no learning/physical/mental disability but for those children and their parents who are lazy and don't want to train their kids.

I would assume that everyone would expect a child who has learning/physical/mental disability to have different needs to the kids who don't therefore the goal posts are different.

IMO this is a form of child abuse - a child of 7 still in nappies goes against my fundamental beliefs as a parent. My role as a mummy is to prepare my girls for life as an adult and by stunting their development as children (by keeping them in nappies at 7!) is one of the biggest failings.

I think Zebra's original post was intended about the children who have no learning/physical/mental disability but for those children and their parents who are lazy and don't want to train their kids.

I would assume that everyone would expect a child who has learning/physical/mental disability to have different needs to the kids who don't therefore the goal posts are different.

Yup, that's exactly what I meant :)

• 1 month later...

Advise please! 3 and 1/2 yr old dry throughout day bar odd accident and had a good stretch at being dry at night (has averaged 4 or 5 nights out of 7 dry for several weeks) then last week we decided to try him without nappies at night.

We've had a torrid few days and nights - wet three nights in a row and puddles on the bathroom floor in the daytime too - combined with defiance when asked to go to toilet. I think he's feeling too much pressure but want to try and be positive. Any thoughts about what we should do next? I can't say I'm at my best when watching someone wet themselves two foot away from the loo - the constant mopping and washing is getting me down.

Well my son's exaclty the same age- totally dry by day but still wears a nappy during the night. Unlike your son mine is still wet every night though. I'd put his nappy back on at night and wait til he says he doesn't want to wear it. Another idea is putting him in pyjama pants things and taking him for a wee when you go to bed or something.

Very frustrating!

I know many people who take their child for a pee when they (the adults) go to bed, which seems to help.

I put a potty in my son's room so if he wakes up and needs to go, he doesn't have to go far. He has hardly ever used it, but bizarrely its presence in his room seemed to stop the night time bedwetting overnight.

A friend of mine who was having trouble training her daughter found out that above all things in the universe her daughter loved chocolate fudge cake. This turned out to be the key...the promise of a generous wedge of said cake at the end of the day if she stayed dry did the trick.

Sorry, no other suggestions except to keep your cool, make no fuss (any attention is good attention to them) and hang on in there. It'll come.

I had a simular thing with my son and took the advice of a health visitor ..... and to my suprise, it worked a treat, i drew a chart out of round faces with noses and eyes .... 2 for each day .......... it was his job to finish the face of for each day ... for example, if he was dry all day monday, for monday daytime he would put a big smile on the face, if he had 1 accident he would put a straight mouth and if he had 2 or more accidents a sad mouth, he did the same first thing in the morning for monday morning smilie .... if he got a full week he got a sticker. ...... honestly it was a dream, no frought nerves .... he really loved being able to put a big smilie

Also - are boys slower than girls at training their bladders? People keep telling me this. It's like he can't control it at all once it starts - stands there in the bathroom shouting "Me wetting myself" with urine leaking out at every angle like he just can't stop it - reminds me of the incontinent old lady in Little Britain. Very strange....