Potty training megathread

Faye12

Our best is a purple plastic one with a back that we got from a car boot sale. Cheap and cheerful and works a treat. It's dead light but tall enough to avoid that uncomfy 'crouching' posture of tiny potties. Also has a removable bowl: very useful.

AVOID the 'throne' potty, white and green and has a fanfare when they pee. Especially if you have a boy. The removable bowl is fiddly to put in place, and it leaks from a couple of places even when put together properly...so even when Cosycub succeeded in getting the potty, I still got to clean up pee. Hurrah.

I was very quick to get a seat and stool for the actual toilet, too. Meant getting rid of the potties and on to using the toilet on his own was quite a quick progression.

We've had a lot of luck with the 'throne' http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisher-Price-J7815-0-Fisher-Price-Royal/dp/B0002CYOYO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys&qid=1220564590&sr=8-1

and the girls always preferred it to the low one, they are more patient and inclined since it's elevated.

As always, Cosy and I have opposing tales to tell :)

We've had a lot of luck with the 'throne' http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fisher-Price-J7815-0-Fisher-Price-Royal/dp/B0002CYOYO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys&qid=1220564590&sr=8-1

and the girls always preferred it to the low one, they are more patient and inclined since it's elevated.

As always, Cosy and I have opposing tales to tell :)

It's possibly better for girls, the throne, as they sit and pee into the 'bowl'...cosycub stood, and the pee that inevitably missed the bowl also inevitably leaked fom the sides, back and, well, everywhere.

The purple one, by the by, is taller than the throne, so even better elevated, I thought. I don't like the low ones at all - don't seem comfy.

• 4 weeks later...

i am wanting to gain advice about potty training.

My little girl has been in her knickers now for about 6 months, and we have absolublty no problem where as having a wee on the potty or the loo is concerned.

but, after a traumatic past with opening her bowels, we cannot get her to go on the potty for a poo.

she suffers with severe constipation and has always taken daily laxatives but has had many very painful experiences. i understand she is scared but i have tried everything i can think of.

the health visitors and doctors have tried to help but there is only so long i can bite my toungue at being told, give her plenty of fluid and she'll relax.

has anyone had a similar experience or have any ideas? it would be much appreciated.

awww bless her. A friend of mine used to have to put a nappy on her son when he wanted a poo. No idea why. Have you tried her on the toilet, with a training seat, rather than on the potty? Make a big deal of her being a big girl, and going to the toilet like mummy and daddy? Sorry if you've already tried that. Can't really think of anything else. Good luck.

hi. thanks for the suggestions. although putting a nappy on her when she has a poo would be much less mess. she still wont tell us she needs a poo. so we don't really know when its coming.

we tried the training seat and making a her feel like a big girl, but unfortunatly, no luck. thanks alot any way.

I'm sure you've tried to offer a reward of something she really likes like sweets? Alternatively it may just be something you have to go through for a long time until she stops feeling worried about it all. My nephew had a very difficult time with this too and he's fine now.

We are currently in the middle of the final persuasions of pull ups are no longer an option for poo's, so we've used these http://www.pottytrainingconcepts.com/Free-Potty-Training-Chart-DORA.htm, each has a picture of the girls above it so they know which chart is for which twin. We laminated them (Poundland laminator plastic/tea towel/iron) and took them to buy stickers of their favourite characters and explained why.

Now, each successful poo gets a sticker on the chart, each poo in pants/pull up or anywhere except potty or loo gets a sticker removed.

When they have all the boxes filled with stickers they get a toy.

We've also made a huge song and dance about successful poo's which pleases them.

One twin incidently likes the door closed and no observation for her very private pooping, and the other likes to take her time and look at a book or have one read to her, I think she needs time to relax so the story is a good diversion, but that's also the twin who has the most accidents.

Either way, the more cheers, stickers and chocolate they are getting the better the chances of success it seems.

That's what's working for us, I hope it can help you too.

Hi there I had the same problem with my daughter. Started originally with constipation then she just refused to go. Strange thing was she was fine if i put her a nappy on- just down right refused to go on the potty or toilet. We had many a traumatic time and it was really upsetting. We tried everything- reward charts, stickers, music, new potty special seat, visits to docs etc. No matter what i did just couldn't change her mind. This continued all the time she was in nursery right up till she was 4! I know thats ridiculous but thats how it was. Then 1 day out of the blue she just decided to try it- problem sorted. I know its not really offering a solution but its just to let u know i know how your feeling and thankfully there was light at the end of the tunnel. Good luck