Potty training megathread

Faye12

I tried turning the nappy around so that it fastens at the back, he figured that one out in 2 seconds flat :hihi:

I did manage to catch a few drops of wee in his potty and praised him for it so fingers crossed he's going to click on that if he wees in his potty he'll get a choccy biscuit or something!

Unfortunately he hates the pull up pants, I've got a few kicking around, and he just pulled it straight down and off!!!

I'm tempted to try and customise his potty with Thomas the Tank stickers and see if that works, if all else fails I'll have to make a device that straps him to the potty :hihi:

I am having the same problems (or near enough)

My son toby is 3 yrs 4mths I have been trying my hardest to get him clean and dry. Its a mission.

He has had a potty for well over a yr. Its only the last 6 mths he has actually started using the potty. When he is at home half dressed (so he has no nappy or bottoms on) he will use the potty for wees and a poo, But he then gets a pull up on which he can take off himself and put on himself, But he just wees in it as if its a normal nappy.

The thing is the pull ups dont hold much water (well there not ment to!) It as if he knows he has a nappy or a pull up on his mind just goes elsewhere and he does does it in the nappy/pull up.

We took him to the toilet he just crys as he is scared of it!:confused:

Daddy has shown him what to do, We do have the child seat to go on the loo and he has a step to climb on to go on the loo. But i have no luck.

The thing is he is getting bigger everyday now and he is weeing less often but when he does wee it goes on forever. So he is waking up every morning wet through, and he doesnt realise it.

It is hard at the moment as i do have a girl aged 11 mths and shes at that time where she is finding her feet and walking along the furniture, so got my hands full.

I just feel that i will have my daughter out of nappys and using the toilet before i can get toby clean. I think he is just lazy, as boys are lazy at things like this.

I think the best thing we can do is just put up with it untill he is ready??:huh:

Yaaaaaaay he did a wee in his potty :banana: :banana: He didn't sit down on it though,he kinda squatted and aimed :hihi: but he's done it, I'm soooooo proud :D

Only thing is.....he proceeded to try and drink it( :o ) but after I stopped him from trying to drink it, he poured it on the floor!

Yaaaaaaay he did a wee in his potty :banana: :banana: He didn't sit down on it though,he kinda squatted and aimed :hihi: but he's done it, I'm soooooo proud :D

Only thing is.....he proceeded to try and drink it( :o ) but after I stopped him from trying to drink it, he poured it on the floor!

He's a boy! He'd probably much prefer to stand up and aim. Try a toilet step...

I got a big jar and every time my boys did it right I put 2 pence in the jar. As the money grew they were more motivated to do it right and eventually we got there. There were lots of accidents at the beginning but I stopped all trainer pants and nappies because they didn't actually like being wet. Meant a lot of washing I know but they got the point.

We used a smartie and a sticker with our little girl for successful potty use. And of course lots of praise. We also bought quite a few pairs of washable training pants from mothercare. They can hold a bit of wee but they can feel it and then you can potty them.

Our little boy was very interested in the Fisher Price throne potty which plays a tune for sitting on it and a tune for a result.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering when people started toilet training their children and how they went about it. My little boy is nearly 20 months. I hadn't really thought much about doing anything yet as he doesn't tell me that he's going to the loo. I know when he is doing a poo and probably could get him on a potty but I never have. The other night I was out with friends with children the same age and they were all talking about their potty's and putting the baby on it just to practice etc. It worried me a bit because I haven't even got a potty yet.

When did people start toilet training? Would it be advisable to start putting him on a potty to practice etc? Any advice would be appreciated. I don't want to rush him as I am aware that can do more harm than good in the long run.

Thanks.