Potty training megathread

Faye12

My daughter starts nursery in January and turned 3 in october but she isnt dry as yet, weve tried doing everything but she just isnt ready yet.

Does anyone know what school nursery policy is on this? we have heard that they wont take themif there not dry but another nursery has told us that they cant refuse a child because they arent dry.

Anybody know?

Your best bet would be to contact the nursery in question. Both my sons started nursery aged 3, and neither was dry at the time. Our nursery simply requested we put them in pull ups rather than regular nappies, so the staff could take them to the toilet at the same time as the other children, but would change their pull ups if and when necessary at other times. This was an excellent compromise, and one of my sons was full dry quite quicky after starting this nursery, which I put largely down to seeing all the other little children use the toilet.

I used to take miniwitch to the toilet with me at about 25 months, I would sit her on the potty whilst I used the loo. She didnt get the hang of it straight away, but then she had a totally dry nappy about a month later, so I left off the nappy and asked her if she would use the potty. She never actually used the potty, she prefered to sit on the toilet like mummy. So I bought her one of those little toilet seats that sit inside the normal toilet seat, it was easier than I thought :)

I've actually thought about this for a while. LittleOuija is only 22 months, but has been letting me know for ages when he's doing something in his nappy. Somebody suggested to me to just put out a potty, let him know what it's for and let him decide when he's ready to use it. So I'll probably go for that approach. I'd rather he stayed in nappies for a while, cos I hated the "I need the toilet NOW!!!!" dramas with my ex's daughter when she was potty training and couldn't hold on for even a millisecond, and we would be miles away from the nearest toilet :o

I've had a clean potty in my DD's toy box for her to play with since she was 18 months old. From 23 months she decides to go on the potty sometimes, so I will have an attempt at potty training but they are never successful. I never push it, and let her decide if it's a potty training day - she usually takes off her nappy herself and shouts wee and usually when I'm in the shower 8) She's currently doing some potty training in the house and is doing quite well. I still put nappies on when I go out, as I don't think either of us are ready for it yet!

Since my post on this thread. My DD ripped off her nappy and shouted wee. So off we trotted to the potty and since then we have been in pants, as she won't go back to nappies (even bedtime nappies are a trial to get on her). I've had to get some Charlie and Lola pants for her, and she loves them. She's had a few accidents today, as doesn't quite make it to the loo, but we have been doing really well. So my advice is don't stress about it, let them lead you, have an attempt at it, but they will let you know when they are ready.

The only nurseries i know of wont accept children who aren't dry unless there is a medical condition. Largely this is due to mainstream nurseries (those that are part of an infant or primary school) not having the facilities to change children. The best bet would be to contact the nursery your going to be using and asking them what the policy is on this.

Is your child totally "un potty trained" or is it just that she has the odd accident? As i'm sure all nurseries would be happy to deal with any accidents your child may have.

i have 3 girls and a boy all the girls were potty trained about 18 months but little boy was nearly 2 and a half so i do think it takes boys longer to get the 'sensation'!but with all of them i took them out of nappy(more like when i was ready than them)when i knew id have the time then when they weed dashed them to the potty even if it was for the last drop and made a huge fuss ,within a week the accidents went from every wee to about 1 or 2 accidents a day !you need to allow for time and a few puddles and dont go back and put a nappy on however convenient and youll soon get there .good luck