Potty training megathread

Faye12

My daughter is 2 years and 4 months and we have been potty training for about 1 month now, she is dry all day and only wears nappies for bed or if we go out, though were going to start the pants for going out as yesterday she had a nappy on for 3 hours and when we got home she said "potty" took the nappy off and there wasn't nothing in it and went straight to the potty for a wee. We did try potty training her around 2 years but she just said "nooo don't like" so we just left it a while and re-tried and she's been great. My son who is 3 years and 8 months was really good at weeing on the potty and also started just after turning 2 but he wouldn't poo on it until about 5 months ago! Though now he's totally out of nappies, dry all night.

My 3 year old isn't potty trained either. When we're at home, he doesn't have a nappy on and uses the potty with very few accidents these days. But, he prefers to have a nappy on and would still wear a nappy all the time if I let him. There's no way he's anywhere near being able to go out without a nappy or go to bed without a nappy. He just drinks so much! At home, he regularly goes on the potty a couple of times an hour.

I got him a basic potty but he really didn't like sitting on it, now i've got one that's a bit more substantial - more like a proper toilet seat and has a lid on it - and he's quite comfortable using it.

I just feel we're at a 'stale-mate', I can't see how I can move to doing away with nappies out of the house :(

• 3 weeks later...

My 3 year old son has been dry for about 5 weeks now during the day. He has been great at taking himself to the toilet.

Yesterday at pre-school he wet his pants and i put it down as being an accidentand just one of them things, then at tea time he filled his pants.

This morning he went to pre-school and did both in his pants.

Has anyone got any ideas why he has started to do it and what i can do to stop it. :help:

Kids sometimes do go go back to wetting after they've been dry for a while.

Like the above poster said, if he's really enjoying himself at playgroup, he's not going to want to be distracted by going to the loo!!! :)

He'll get back into the swing of things in no time.

My three year old goes from stages of being dry for a while and then I tear my hair out as she has accidents left, right and centre. Curiously, she has only ever had 1 night time accident and even wakes up in the middle of the night to go to the toilet if she needs to.

My DD has more accidents when she is involved with playing or watching tv or something. She will leave it right to the last minute to go to the toilet, which always results in wet pants.

I would echo the other posters above. They do go through stages and at times you think it's 1 step forward 2 steps backwards. Our son has been through two major 'setback stages'. Once when he was about three and again when he was about 6 (nightimes this time).

When he was 3 one tip we got was to try him without his pants & trousers when around the house (obviously if prudent), apparently the restriction through wearing pants can restrict the feeling of needing to go, whereas when they are 'free' so to speak they feel it immediately and often won't just then do it because they know it's not going to be held back. It actually worked.

when 6 we simply cut back on the drinks in the evening and went back to getting him up in the night again for a while. Just to get him back into the cycle. All seems fine again now, apart from holding his toilet too long from watching spongebob or something :-).

He's 7 and a half now btw.

Cheers, C