Potty training megathread

Faye12

My little girl was under two and dry at night. I had the full size mattress protector and also bought the pampers dry nights but she didn't need them. Just go for it, I would suggest having some spare bedding on hand just incase he wakes up wet, then you can quickly change the bed without waking the rest of the family.

• 1 month later...

My little boy will be three in July and is showing absolutely no interest in using the potty or toilet he just cries and says he doesn't like it! I've tried him standing up and sitting down neither work! Someone told me i should just say no more nappies and put him in pants and he will soon get fed up of wet pants and trousers! Will this work? I'm at my wits ends he is due to start nursery in September and i have been told they will not take him if he is still in nappies.

Any ideas?

:help:

My DD is 3 in June and is the same, just about got it with the Wees(caught it with the potty:hihi:), but No 2's forget it. Don't worry about it, get some Childrens books from the library about going on the potty, these helped my son loads. My DD's not interested in what the book says. Try him every couple of weeks or so but don't put pressure and get some reward stickers(they do work).

September is still a long way off- The Nursery is being unfair, most Nurseries l know will help parents with Toilet Training, not every child is trained before nursery

Good Luck

Denise

Hi maskrey,

I totally understand your problem as the nursery my son will go to will also only take children who are toilet trained and it does put pressure on you.

It is not unusual for a child your son's age to still be in nappies. My little boy was threee last month and I toilet trained him in February. I'd been waiting until he was ready and to me it just seemed that he would never show any signs of being ready as it was just easier to go in his nappy!

I waited until Feb half term when all groups etc we go to weren't on and I stayed in the house and just put him in pants! I made a big fuss about him having special pants and I carried the potty around from room to room with us. My son up until this point had never done anything on the potty. To start with (day 1 and 2) he just wet himself all the time and saved poos until we put on a nappy on at night. He was a bit paranoid about wetting so he would sit on the potty a fair bit. Sometimes he would wee whilst sat there but it was like he didn't even know it had happened. So day 3 I decided maybe he wasn't ready but suddenly I saw him react to the fact that he was weeing and even though it wasn't before he did a wee it was still progress! He then very quickly proceeded to start to know before he needed to go but not in time to get to the potty! This then moved onto him knowing in time to use the potty. By the weekend he was weeing on the potty all the time! I rewarded him with chocolate buttons (1 for a wee, 2 for a poo).

We had more problems with poos and he held it for 3 days to start with and then on another occasion did it in his pants. But this is improved now. He still prefers to poo on the potty rather than the toilet but he has been for a poo on the toilet a few times and recently he went for a poo on the toilet whilst we are out.

All in all he was pretty much toilet trained in 2 weeks. He has had the occasional accident but really not very many at all. He loves his big boy pants. I would let your little boy choose some he really likes.

My son is not toilet trained at night and I don't know when that will be as his nappies are very full in the morning but he never poos in them and he always does a wee on the potty/toilet as soon as he wakes up. I'm just trying to get him to use the toilet more than the potty now. Oh and when he starts nursery in Sep they have to take themselves to the loo and everything so I'm really hoping he does his poos at home as I can't see him doing a very good job of wiping his own bum!!

I would give the pants thing a go for a few days and stick with it if you see any signs that his understanding is improving. If not leave it and try again in a month or so.

Good luck and sorry for the long winded reply!

Just thought I should add that I do have to remind him to go sometimes if it's been a while. When he starts crossing his legs I know he really needs to go. At the nursery he is at now they take them regularly too. I will take him before we go out now and unless he's been really recently he will normally go. That took a few weeks and before that he could only go when he really needed to.

Edited by Corbyn
Add more

If you do a search you will find a large thread about potty training, with many tips and suggestions. I'll try and merge them later, a bit busy now.

What i would say is that a nursery that can't be supportive about potty training isn't a nursery I'd particularly want to have anything to do with.

Many children, and boys in particular, respond much better to potty training after the age of 3. If a place dedicated to the care and development of children can't deal with that, they need to be looking at their policies.

And as with many things with children, if you force them, you may get the desired results-ish eventually, but it will generally be much more emotionally trying and likely take much longer than it would have if you waited until they were ready.

Rant over. sorry, everyone's forced to be in such a bloomin' rush these days.

um I asked our local nursery about this because my dd is 3 and only just about ready for the potty, still not quite, but she has been going 6 mths already in paper pants, apparently its against the disability discrimination act to turn away a child on the grounds that it isn't potty trained, they have to accomodate them.