Looking for a good wine tasting night...

hm6056

Originally posted by hm6056

hi

we're a group of 20-somethings looking for a wine-tasting night (of the not-too-serious variety!) - have been to a few before and had a really good laugh - any suggestions?

thanks!

I ran one about three months ago for a group of 30 wine-tasting beginners and was a "half serious-half not serious" night. You get to try 12 different wines and costs in the region of £800. As a wine enthusiast I usually attend those held at Berry Bros & Rudd in London (these are for the serious).

Originally posted by tas1

I'd love to give this a go as well.

Wine-tasting is an extremely fun olfactory sport. The great thing about it is you can pretty much organise your own... go into an Oddbins buy 4/5 bottles and ask them to print you off the tasting notes.

All you need to make sure is that you've got some well shaped glasses and you're off! Makes for a fantastic way to spend any evening. You can get roughly 10 tasting glassfuls from a bottle so if you have a group of 10 people and each throw in £10 (much less than a night out you can try 10 or so bottles of really fantastic wine!).

By the way, a tip- from a wine investor, bottles of wine in this country priced around the £4 / £5 mark mainly just cover the tax. If you spend a £2/£3 more, roughly £7/£8 you get an infinitely better wine in which you really can taste the difference.

There's a new-ish Fine Food / Fine Wine (I think that's it's name too) shop at Hunters Bar. I walk past it every day and theres a big table in the middle of the shop where you can have drinks and someething to eat while shopping. They are organising Wine-tasting evenings throughout February and the details are in the window, If you want me to find out more, I'll pop in and get more details.

• 3 weeks later...

dont know if this is advertising but here goes anyway. I am one of the owners of food and fine wine on ecclesall rd and we offer private and mixed tasting nights most tuesdays and wednesdays. Private events can take place either in the shop or at your place. Prices start from £15 per head (inc food) and go up. minimum number for a private event is 10.

hope this helps.Adrian

Archived