Do you buy petrol from expensive petrol outlets? - if so, why?

This is something that baffles me.

You have 2 petrol stations within half a mile of one another, one sells fuel at £1.04 per litre, the other sells the same fuel at £1.11 per litre.

Now can anyone explain to me why you would wish to pay an extra 7p per litre for the same fuel?

1) Do you enjoy paying extra tax to the chancellor?

2) Do you think the numbers on the big sign (ie 1.04 ) is the time "oh look its five past one.

3) Are you rich?

WHY WHY WHY ?????????

Because it's there at the same time as you need petrol? Not exactly rocket science! IMO it's only local people who have the choice, because they're the ones who know where the alternative one is. And, if the 'driver' also wants a bottle of water, a sandwich, a paper, a bottle of wine to take home, whatever, he/she will choose the one-stop-shop over all others.

Surely you know that? :D

I tend to fill the company hack up @ Morrisons (collect the points), but I usually put Tesco 99 octane into the TVR, don't really care about the price. I claim it back for the Golf, and the TVR deserves good quality fuel.

As for the Audi, well that is so economical it usually only needs filling once a month at the most.

I agree that some petrol stations are relying on the apathy and ldleness of the consumer, and charging more than the 'going rate'.

What really bugs me is the difference between outlets such as Morrisons. Parkgate was 1p/l cheaper than Catcliffe, which in turn was 1p/l cheaper than Halfway !

I used to think that all petrol was created equal - however, I've found that it isn't - through friends in the industry and a little internet research, plus my own testing several years back

Many of the branded petrols are use high tech additives to reduce wear and tear on the engine, reduce knock and improve performace. Of course the supermarket brands are using similar additives, but a few generations behind.... it's like top end cars, they develop the tech, ABS/EPS/Vanos/FSi etc then sell it on to the lower spec cars after a few years...

It's also about octane rating - I use super, 97/98 octane, because you generally get a better MPG out of it, it generally comes with the current state of the art additives and it give me a slightly better pickup on the engine revs... You only really start to make performance gains with higher spec 150-200bhp upwards engines

i fill up at the small local garage near us in the village, costs a bit more, but I know the money's going to a small local business. I appreciate when people support my business, so I do likewise- local butchers, veg shop etc where possible...

1) Do you enjoy paying extra tax to the chancellor?

The extra isn't tax its the extra imposed by the retail outlet. Tax is the same the same wherever you buy fuel in the uk. I personally will only go to shell or BP garages no matter how much it costs as it always seams to last longer.

Archived