Do you buy petrol from expensive petrol outlets? - if so, why?

If it is going to cost me 50p to get to a cheaper garage then I might as well fill up at the more expensive one and save the planet some fuel. Also sometimes it's nice to support your local garage.

Would agree with the post above. I always look at the difference in price, the distance I would have to travel to the cheaper garage.

Plus the fact as usually happens the cheaper garage will be much busier. So if you are sat in a queue with the engine running you are wasting money.

Just a thought, why worry about the cost of fuel, it's the cost of depreciation that annoys me !

I currently pump about £80 per week into my car, I drive to Hull two days, Calderdale three days, but the total cost of fuel still doesn't come close to the depreciation on my car... and before folk say, yeah yeah shouldn't buy a new car, take a look on the Motorway each morning and most are upto a couple of years old...

Isn't it time we knobbled the car makers to keep new car prices down ?

I thought the tax was worked out as a percentage? In which case, a higher at-the-pump price would indicate a higher amount of tax? Or am I wrong?

Good point. I think-- the fuel tax stays the same, but the VAT varies, as the total price varies at different stations)

Unless the VAT is added to the fuel tax first, then the profit added after. :confused:

I've confused myself now. :hihi:

I can't seem to find any accurate figures, but I think the fuel tax itself is about 65p/l unleaded.

I used to think that all petrol was created equal - however, I've found that it isn't - through friends in the industry and a little internet research, plus my own testing several years back

Many of the branded petrols are use high tech additives to reduce wear and tear on the engine, reduce knock and improve performace. Of course the supermarket brands are using similar additives, but a few generations behind.... it's like top end cars, they develop the tech, ABS/EPS/Vanos/FSi etc then sell it on to the lower spec cars after a few years...

It's also about octane rating - I use super, 97/98 octane, because you generally get a better MPG out of it, it generally comes with the current state of the art additives and it give me a slightly better pickup on the engine revs... You only really start to make performance gains with higher spec 150-200bhp upwards engines

Going slightly off topic I know but do fellow members have a brand preference myself I only put in Shell V Power as I genuinely believe its top quality fuel.

Archived