Do you buy petrol from expensive petrol outlets? - if so, why?

Going slightly off topic I know but do fellow members have a brand preference myself I only put in Shell V Power as I genuinely believe its top quality fuel.

So have you noticed better mpg with V power?

I was shocked to come across it the other day.......diesel advertised on boards at 1.119 then friggin' Vpower on the pump I selected at £1.169, NEEDLESS TO SAY I SWITCHED PUMPS.

Isn't it time we knobbled the car makers to keep new car prices down ?

Think you'll find that car manufacturers are already doing this - prices of new cars are generally coming down significantly when you take inflation into account. I've done a little research and the answer really surprised me. Take one of the most popular cars on the road today - a Ford Focus 1.6LX Hatchback. According to Parkers Guide the price in 1998 was £13,850. Allowing for 2%/2.5% annual inflation in today's money that would be around £18,000. And the actual new price today? £13,872.

BTW the 1998 model is today worth only around £1,500!

All those who are suggesting that they should shop at supermarket petrol stations should consider that there are now less petrol stations than at any time since 1912. The supermarkets are doing the same thing to the local petrol stations as they are doing to the local shops.

Many independent petrol stations are branded with the name of major oil companies, so you can't always assume that the petrol station is owned by one of the big companies.

An interesting quote from a BBC also sheds some light upon how difficult it is to run an independent petrol station

With typical profit margins of 2 to 3p a litre, it is the attached shop, rather than the forecourt pumps, that keep most filling stations in business.

A motorist buying £10 worth of fuel by credit card will actually be a net loss to a retailer because of card charges. However, if that motorist buys a chocolate bar when he or she fills up, a small profit will be made.

Rest of article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7306967.stm

The supermarkets are not always the cheapest anyway. There's a TESCO around here that often seems to be 1 or 2p more expensive than the other garage.

Personally though I tend to just use whichever station is near when I need petrol. Although with the new car they recommend the premium stuff. argk.

Think you'll find that car manufacturers are already doing this

I've often said that the cost of buying a new car today has never been cheaper - What I should have said was wasn't it time we knobbled car makers to keep new car depreciation down !

To screams of horror from the 2nd hand buyers out there ;)

I used to think that all petrol was created equal - however, I've found that it isn't - through friends in the industry and a little internet research, plus my own testing several years back

Many of the branded petrols are use high tech additives to reduce wear and tear on the engine, reduce knock and improve performace. Of course the supermarket brands are using similar additives, but a few generations behind.... it's like top end cars, they develop the tech, ABS/EPS/Vanos/FSi etc then sell it on to the lower spec cars after a few years...

It's also about octane rating - I use super, 97/98 octane, because you generally get a better MPG out of it, it generally comes with the current state of the art additives and it give me a slightly better pickup on the engine revs... You only really start to make performance gains with higher spec 150-200bhp upwards engines

I was talking to a guy who used to live in Barnsley and he now owns a few plants were they melt used tyres and add them to petrol. I certainly won't fill up with the cheap stuff :loopy:

• 5 years later...

Apparently the government want to discount the price of fuel for people in rural areas but has had to apply for permission to do this from the EU commission!! yes you read that right, Britain, the country that supposedly "never never never shall be slaves" has to seek permission from a foreign body to implement a policy. That's where we are in 2013. :shakes:

Archived