Darnall Pubs in late 1980's early 1990's

razor

i hung around darnall for a while and drunk in one or two of the pubs, cant remember the names now.

ill try and explain where they are.....both on the top of darnall before the 52 goes up to handsworth.

the big one near where the army surplus stores was.......and youd go left towards the road leading to high hazels.

the other ones opposite the bus stops just before there...next to a church

those are the two i remember drinking in, i may also have drunk in one somewhere down the backstreets leading from behind pyramid carpets as my mates lived that way, but my memories even hazier

i think its near where the youth club / darnall music factory is???

or have i got my directions messed up?

mel, there was a big pub right next to the army surplus, which IIRC was the rose and .. erm... "crown" ? the one on the opposite side, next to the church, I think, was something like the wellington?

there were lots of pubs down the back, from the main road, such as the "termo" (terminus which was formerly The Old Bradley Well) i think the Prince of Wales was on teh opposite corner.

there were a couple going back toward attercliffe, such as the albert, and ?the sportsman? as well as The Ball just up from the fire station.

There was another, really small pub, not far from the prince of wales, which is now something to do with the Living Waters Church.

mel, there was a big pub right next to the army surplus, which IIRC was the rose and .. erm... "crown" ? the one on the opposite side, next to the church, I think, was something like the wellington?

there were lots of pubs down the back, from the main road, such as the "termo" (terminus which was formerly The Old Bradley Well) i think the Prince of Wales was on teh opposite corner.

there were a couple going back toward attercliffe, such as the albert, and ?the sportsman? as well as The Ball just up from the fire station.

There was another, really small pub, not far from the prince of wales, which is now something to do with the Living Waters Church.

the ball, prince of wales and sportsman all sound famillier tbh :P

dont think i went in all of em, maybe i remember em being talked about

The pub at the bottom of Handsworth Hill was the Rose & Crown (Tetleys House), across the funny "most dangerous junction in Sheffield" was The Wellington (Stones). Go along Staniforth road and turn right across from the church was The Old Bradley Well (Tetleys) on the left - next to Darnall Conservative Club which featured two very good snooker tables. Opposite was the Duke of York right on the corner, another Stones house. If you turned left at the chippy instead of going to the Duke you would come across The Industry (Wards) next to The Meadow (Stones). Right down over the hill would be The Ball Inn (John Smiths) - right opposite what used to be Waltheof Schools Art campus - who remembers the old Maths teacher that used to salavate whilst he was taling to you and Mr. Sanderson - the woodwork teacher and of course, Mr. Alltas - how wierd was he ?????

If you come out of The Meadow and go up the steep road directly opposite you had the option to turn left to the Darnall Working Mens Club or go straight and right to the Darnall Horti club.

The Half Way House was a Whitbread pub on a lane up to the alotments behind High Hazels park.

Have I got them all ????????

The pub at the bottom of Handsworth Hill was the Rose & Crown (Tetleys House), across the funny "most dangerous junction in Sheffield" was The Wellington (Stones). Go along Staniforth road and turn right across from the church was The Old Bradley Well (Tetleys) on the left - next to Darnall Conservative Club which featured two very good snooker tables. Opposite was the Duke of York right on the corner, another Stones house. If you turned left at the chippy instead of going to the Duke you would come across The Industry (Wards) next to The Meadow (Stones). Right down over the hill would be The Ball Inn (John Smiths) - right opposite what used to be Waltheof Schools Art campus - who remembers the old Maths teacher that used to salavate whilst he was taling to you and Mr. Sanderson - the woodwork teacher and of course, Mr. Alltas - how wierd was he ?????

If you come out of The Meadow and go up the steep road directly opposite you had the option to turn left to the Darnall Working Mens Club or go straight and right to the Darnall Horti club.

The Half Way House was a Whitbread pub on a lane up to the alotments behind High Hazels park.

Have I got them all ????????

pretty much almost, cos if you go further down past The Ball, and the old Darnall school as if toward Attercliffe, there was the ?sportsman? and almost next door to that is the Albert.

(if you go into the 1970's council estate, off Greenland Road, there was also the "Fiery Fred" but I don't know if that's too far off the beaten track)

Archived