Darnall Pubs in late 1980's early 1990's

razor

Correction to my last message, the Half Way house was actually a "free" house but no one ever seemed to know what this meant but everyone knew it didn't mean free beer. The Sportsman and Albert were too far south so I can't recall what was on tap.

A little further afield but still within the area there was The Kings Head on Poole Road (through the railway tunnel underneath Darnall station) - a Tetleys house. Further uphill and up the gennel past Acres Hill School was The Half Moon (Stones) probably best known for it's Sunday morning football team (and once considered my world headquarters). Now we are on the Littledale .....walk along Mather Rd and up Prince to the next opposite corner and there is The Three Feathers (Wards) and probably best known for locking it's front gate due to the number of steps down to the car park ????

Used to drink in the Albert on Darnall Rd lunchtimes in the early 70's when I worked at Hayden Nilos by the viaduct. Proper pub with pies, darts and John Smiths IIRC. Just looked on Multimap - where did everything else go? Used to ne a big factory next door to the pub Kaiser Ellisons? Also used to take my car to Bridport garage for easy MOTs - Seems to be a park now?:confused:

The pub at the bottom of Handsworth Hill was the Rose & Crown (Tetleys House), across the funny "most dangerous junction in Sheffield" was The Wellington (Stones). Go along Staniforth road and turn right across from the church was The Old Bradley Well (Tetleys) on the left - next to Darnall Conservative Club which featured two very good snooker tables. Opposite was the Duke of York right on the corner, another Stones house. If you turned left at the chippy instead of going to the Duke you would come across The Industry (Wards) next to The Meadow (Stones). Right down over the hill would be The Ball Inn (John Smiths) - right opposite what used to be Waltheof Schools Art campus - who remembers the old Maths teacher that used to salavate whilst he was taling to you and Mr. Sanderson - the woodwork teacher and of course, Mr. Alltas - how wierd was he ?????

If you come out of The Meadow and go up the steep road directly opposite you had the option to turn left to the Darnall Working Mens Club or go straight and right to the Darnall Horti club.

The Half Way House was a Whitbread pub on a lane up to the alotments behind High Hazels park.

Have I got them all ????????

blimey, think i know all of darnall now

• 4 weeks later...
The pub at the bottom of Handsworth Hill was the Rose & Crown (Tetleys House), across the funny "most dangerous junction in Sheffield" was The Wellington (Stones). Go along Staniforth road and turn right across from the church was The Old Bradley Well (Tetleys) on the left - next to Darnall Conservative Club which featured two very good snooker tables. Opposite was the Duke of York right on the corner, another Stones house. If you turned left at the chippy instead of going to the Duke you would come across The Industry (Wards) next to The Meadow (Stones). Right down over the hill would be The Ball Inn (John Smiths) - right opposite what used to be Waltheof Schools Art campus - who remembers the old Maths teacher that used to salavate whilst he was taling to you and Mr. Sanderson - the woodwork teacher and of course, Mr. Alltas - how wierd was he ?????

If you come out of The Meadow and go up the steep road directly opposite you had the option to turn left to the Darnall Working Mens Club or go straight and right to the Darnall Horti club.

The Half Way House was a Whitbread pub on a lane up to the alotments behind High Hazels park.

Have I got them all ????????

No, you have missed the Monkey just before the Meadow,going up the hill.

Help me out here .....The Meadow isn't actually on a hill - it's on the road at the bottom of the hill that goes up to Darnall libs and onto Staniforth Road.

Walking along the road - where the Meadow is located - with Greenland Road to your back, on the right hand side, the Industry comes immediately before the Meadow, just before the Industry was Cyril's Cafe - great bacon sandwiches and the pin ball machines were great - until they took the tanners out of circulation!

Is the Monkey the same as The Industry - was it renamed or is it before it was The Industry ? My drinking years in Darnall were 1976 to 1988.

Archived