Darnall Pubs in late 1980's early 1990's

razor

OK SCRNMGC you need to start identifying yourself as my OH thinks he must have been standing next to you at some point during your drinking time.. Did you play football for any of the pubs you mention or can you remember any names of people you spent time with in the pubs you remember so well?

• 2 months later...

Blimey, I actually missed one out - What about the Darnall Green Working Mens - down the little gennel left side of the Rose & Crown. Come out of there and turn right and walk across Park Lane to the Halfway House

OK SCRNMGC you need to start identifying yourself as my OH thinks he must have been standing next to you at some point during your drinking time.. Did you play football for any of the pubs you mention or can you remember any names of people you spent time with in the pubs you remember so well? Does the phrase 'Timmy Howard, Peter Pan of Darnall' mean anything to you?

What year are we talking about here ? I haven't lived in England for 21 years.

The pub at the bottom of Handsworth Hill was the Rose & Crown (Tetleys House), across the funny "most dangerous junction in Sheffield" was The Wellington (Stones). Go along Staniforth road and turn right across from the church was The Old Bradley Well (Tetleys) on the left - next to Darnall Conservative Club which featured two very good snooker tables. Opposite was the Duke of York right on the corner, another Stones house. If you turned left at the chippy instead of going to the Duke you would come across The Industry (Wards) next to The Meadow (Stones). Right down over the hill would be The Ball Inn (John Smiths) - right opposite what used to be Waltheof Schools Art campus - who remembers the old Maths teacher that used to salavate whilst he was taling to you and Mr. Sanderson - the woodwork teacher and of course, Mr. Alltas - how wierd was he ?????

If you come out of The Meadow and go up the steep road directly opposite you had the option to turn left to the Darnall Working Mens Club or go straight and right to the Darnall Horti club.

The Half Way House was a Whitbread pub on a lane up to the alotments behind High Hazels park.

Have I got them all ????????

Directions learnt on those drunken walks home I see ......

Used to drink in the Albert on Darnall Rd lunchtimes in the early 70's when I worked at Hayden Nilos by the viaduct. Proper pub with pies, darts and John Smiths IIRC. Just looked on Multimap - where did everything else go? Used to ne a big factory next door to the pub Kaiser Ellisons? Also used to take my car to Bridport garage for easy MOTs - Seems to be a park now?:confused:

did billy calvert have it at that time

:rolleyes:

What year are we talking about here ? I haven't lived in England for 21 years.

Would have been playing football for some of the pubs late 1970's and early 1980's. (Born 1959, went to Park House School). Used to celebrate our wins on the football pitch in the pubs in Darnall and the odd times we lost, used to drink to forget guess where? Yep! the pubs on Darnall.

Archived