Proposed gay night at The Basement - what are your thoughts?

mapadale

We are not intrested in stealing them at all, but from what we are hearing. Is that people are getting rather annoyed with only having "dempsys" to go to and so its a niche in the market for us.

Ok steal is maybe the wrong word, but 'share'. If say 500 people are at Dempseys that is 90% probably of the 'crowd' that is out on a particular evening. I seriously doubt there are many people sat home saying 'im not going out cos dempseys our only option'.

Of course having different choices people may alternate, but Sheffield scene needs some stability after the recent ongoings surrounding other bars/companies that have come and gone and that is why Dempseys and Xes are popular they have no pretence to be anything they are not.

Also how big is the venue if it needs 100+ to feel busy people will leave to go somewhere 'busier'.

If it works then we won't get rid of it at all and I'm sure everyone is getting annoyed with going to "dempsys" all the time.

Really confusing this part of your post, who are these people who are "getting annoyed with going to Dempseys" as James stated its packed Friday and Saturdays so not everyone seems to be "annoyed" with it.

These one off night have come and gone before, so I wish you good luck, I am one of them not "annoyed at Dempseys" so shall probably stay there.

Only Climax have managed to keep their "once a month going".

Really confusing this part of your post, who are these people who are "getting annoyed with going to Dempseys" as James stated its packed Friday and Saturdays so not everyone seems to be "annoyed" with it.

These one off night have come and gone before, so I wish you good luck, I am one of them not "annoyed at Dempseys" so shall probably stay there.

Only Climax have managed to keep their "once a month going".

We are not planning on doing a one night only, so please read what I've said correctly.

We are looking at doing this on a regular basis once or twice a week, we have a capacity of 300+.

We are not going into this half heartedly and do want it to work, but at the moment all I'm seeing is bad vibes about it and yet we are doing somthing about it.

If on our first couple of weeks, the whole idea is a failure. Then we will work around this and try and improve on it. We don't do things by half and we won't be with this.

It won't be long before Tyranna is here advocating the place needs drag and he's the right man to provide all the entertainment.

mapadale - take a look at some of the threads about gay nights and so on. No matter what you do you'll get a total slating for it. Good luck and I applaud your good intentions

mapadale - it sounds like a great idea and I give it all my encouragement - While Dempseys is good - sometimes it makes a change to go to another venue. I suggest to make it popular you make it a bit "alternative" or different e.g. instead of the usual "Briffney and Rhianna" brigade style of music and those strangulated synths songs, that you have for example an early 80s night featuring Human League/ABC/Cabaret Voltaire music of the time - it would seem to suit the older venue too - there used to be good alternative gay venues with nights like this such as NCPM and poptastic years ago so if you went for that niche market you would certainly get me going along - and I'm sure my friend Tyranna would fit right in too if she applied 80s makeup :-) !!!

mapadale - it sounds like a great idea and I give it all my encouragement - While Dempseys is good - sometimes it makes a change to go to another venue. I suggest to make it popular you make it a bit "alternative" or different

That would be good. It would fit with what we do at the Dove a little more, as we are just 30 seconds walk away...

Where is basement bar ? As the other club FAB tried Attercliffe but it closed within weeks as people wont travel. Where in S3 is it? Also try and get hold of guy that ran Decadance, I have his details somewhere he did a really good night at Cellar 35.

I got confused for a mo, and thought the Basement WAS the same venue as Cellar 35, which is a VERY plush venue with excellent staff and atmosphere.

The Basement is also an OK venue, I'd be really looking forward to a regular gay night there, but only if it is well costed and is in for the long haul, not 'here-today-gone-tomorrow.

We are looking at the long haul, as with all our events/nights.

We want this to work, not just for ourselfs but for everyone involved with the whole concept and this just doesn't include the staff. But the customers as well.

We thrive of giving a good night and thats what makes us tick, if our customers are not happy and not enjoying themselfs then we are not ether.

But thank you so far for the feed back on this and its great to see that we are not being slated, though I'm sure that its there still to come.

And you never know you might see me in "Dempsys" over the weekend getting your lots feed back on things.

Archived