Proposed gay night at The Basement - what are your thoughts?

mapadale

That's fine, but you're missing the point. I'm talking about the interests of the majority. If you think that popularism equals Graham Norton then so be it. That's presumably why he's so popular.

We've heard it all before - assorted gay guys who sneer at anything that they claim is too old-fashioned, too camp, too mainstream or basically too gay. That wouldn't matter - everyone has their own opinion, but in Sheffield it seems the venue owners actually believe this nonsense. They can't seem to grasp that this kind of "dumbed-down" popularism is precisely what the majority of people do want, and which has been sorely lacking n Sheffield for years and years.

That's fine, but you're missing the point. I'm talking about the interests of the majority. If you think that popularism equals Graham Norton then so be it. That's presumably why he's so popular.

We've heard it all before - assorted gay guys who sneer at anything that they claim is too old-fashioned, too camp, too mainstream or basically too gay. That wouldn't matter - everyone has their own opinion, but in Sheffield it seems the venue owners actually believe this nonsense. They can't seem to grasp that this kind of "dumbed-down" popularism is precisely what the majority of people do want, and which has been sorely lacking n Sheffield for years and years.

I can be one of the campest drag queens you could imagine when I want to be, but it doesen't mean I have to breathe, eat and sleep 'campness' every day, even when I go out for the night; some of my favourite music is by Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Depeche Mode, and Psychic TV, and it will really surprise you that I'm off tomorrow night to the HAWKWIND gig at Plug, another very gay-friendly venue, having hosted Razor stiletto and even Fuel fro a while.

I would like to see some Rock, especially Hawkwind, Led Zep and other old school at any LGBT night at the Basement; I have some vinyl of my own from the period, and have a little DJ experience if you are interested!:love:

I beleive its called sexual discrimination :hihi:

Any venue can refuse admittance or bar service to whoever they feel like.....that is the prerogative of the venue..

I dont think there is currently any law that prevents a venue from refusing entry if someone is "not gay"..

its not like saying "no blacks allowed here" or something like that which breaches Race Discrimination laws

Archived