Proposed gay night at The Basement - what are your thoughts?

mapadale

Then to cap things off nicely, you make it clear that your bar staff will not be expecting any interaction with the customers which constitutes harassment. I take this to mean that the bar staff will be straight (heaven-forbid that the bar staff at a gay night were gay) and may as well wear T-shirts saying "I'm straight so don't even look at me, you faggots", by the sounds of it.

I actually agree, with this bit.

As for Mapadales comments about banning people who sexually harass his staff whilst he phrased it rather clumsily, it seems pretty obvious to me that bar staff shouldn't have to put up with sexual harassment from any body regardless of whether or not the customer happens to be of the same gender or not.

If all he said was that the bar staff won't put up with any unwelcomed attention that would have been fine. We can only assume that by stressing the bar staff are staight that he means any unwelcome attention from gay male customers, I assume being hasseled by straight women is going to be ok.

The statment implies that gay customers won't be able to control themselves (I'm sure the bar staff will all be greek gods with fabulous good looks, sparkeling personalities and bodies to die for) and arn't smart enough to take no for an answer.

If he had been a bit more tactfull and not made such a big deal out of the bar staff being straight I don't think anyone would have been quite so offended.

To me, it looks like "come to our gay night, but don't do anything too gay, or we will chuck you out".

I dread to think how they will cope with 2 blokes kissing (2 women will probably be ok, if they are fit looking)

If all he said was that the bar staff won't put up with any unwelcomed attention that would have been fine. We can only assume that by stressing the bar staff are staight that he means any unwelcome attention from gay male customers, I assume being hasseled by straight women is going to be ok.

As I said in my previous post, don't make assumptions on things cause you get them 100% wrong and so far most have.

And as usual most are reading between the lines and not seeing the point im trying to make. If the staff can handle it then so be it, but what I am stating is that it won't be tolerated if you are told to back off and you don't.

I've seen it happen and I've been a victim of it myself, hence why the stong attitude about sexual harrasment - As for your comment previous to this one. How can you agree, sexual harasment is not tolerated in the work place full stop. Wether it be from another member of staff or a customer, I will have the same attitude on straight nights also. I shouldn't have to say that this won't be tolerated and the staff will not wear T shirts stating this ether. Hence the warning now.

the statment implies that gay customers won't be able to control themselves (I'm sure the bar staff will all be greek gods with fabulous good looks, sparkeling personalities and bodies to die for) and arn't smart enough to take no for an answer.

Oh and by the way, if you want fit adonse men or woman working the night then thats easly sorted.

I dread to think how they will cope with 2 blokes kissing (2 women will probably be ok, if they are fit looking)

If only you saw the last place I worked in that had a gay night every week.

Oh and by the way, I was asked by a member of staff to make this clear as well. Not everyone welcomes the advancements of a gay person trying it on.

Oh and by the way, I was asked by a member of staff to make this clear as well. Not everyone welcomes the advancements of a gay person trying it on.

I realy don't see the point of you having a gay night if the barstaff, and the customers are going to be freaked out by gay people, you'd be better off not having gay people there in the first place, that avoids all the problems.

You didn't answer the question as to how you would cope with two blokes snogging (assuming thats going to be allowed), would they get kicked out ? Would any of your straight customers who were "offended" be kicked-out ? What if a fight broke out ?

I'm trying to get some feed back on what people would think about this.

We are looking to have a gay night on a wednesday and friday down at the club and was wondering from all those out there what they would think about this.

On a friday it will be a late license, so you are looking at 4-6am open till.

All feed back will be welcome on this and its not just open to people who are gay ether.

Also some feed back on what you would like to see also.

Where is the basement? Will clients have to enter by the back door?:hihi:

As I said previously, this sounds like one "gay night" that my friends and I won't be going anywhere near. At least mapadale has done us the service of explaining how rubbish it's going to be before it even opens!

Quote- You seem to have a very narrow concept of what a 'gay night' can be, for years many years in Sheffield numerous collectives in the DIY scene have been putting on 'queer friendly' and queercore nights with extremely varied bands and djs. Infact I attended just such an event last Friday which was packed full of people enjoying achingly cool music and the likes of 'Kylie, Girls Aloud, even (dare I say it) Steps' were most certainly not on the playlist, nor did I notice any drag queens.

Pleknahov, can you please read the contents of previous threads before commenting on them? You'll find that I've already explained at great length that I don't have a "narrow view" of what a gay night should be - I merely grasp the concept that a "gay night" means just that - a night for gay people. Not a night for anyone who cares to come through the doors.

As for whatever night you enjoyed on Friday that's fine, I hope you had fun. My comments have been about a "gay night" not one of the countless "queer friendly" nights that come and go. As I've already mentioned before, I don't think anybody with an ounce of intelligence is fooled by these descriptions anymore. Quite simply, we've all learned to accept that "queer friendly" (or whatever euphamism you might care to use) means a straight night which tries to pull-in some poofs too, to make a bit more cash.

Oh, and as for the "achingly cool" music you describe, well I can just imagine it must have been magnificent - a room full of straight people, maybe a dozen gay people, all desperately trying to look like you're having fun (and not being too gay) listening to a load of garbage, all in an effort to try and be cool, alternative, indie, or whatever other daft term you like. Sounds like a typical Sheffield night!

Dunno how many times I have to say it, but some people evidently just don't grasp that the majority of gay people in Sheffield (ie the ones that can't be bothered to go to the pubs and clubs any more because they're so rubbish) are not interested in all these ridiculous attempts to be "different" or "not too camp" or "queer friendly" and so on. We've seen it all before! This endless series of people all wanting to be "different" is just comical - different from what? If there was some big gay club here which was ostensibly (maybe exclusively) gay, full of campery, drag queens, Kylie, Girls Aloud, etc., then one could understand these constant attempts to create something different.

The point is (and I really don't know why some people are so blinkered not to see it) is that there is no place like this. Nor has there been for about fifteen years!

Pleknahov, can you please read the contents of previous threads before commenting on them? You'll find that I've already explained at great length that I don't have a "narrow view" of what a gay night should be

I have read them which was why I posted what I did.

- I merely grasp the concept that a "gay night" means just that - a night for gay people. Not a night for anyone who cares to come through the doors.

No you have in mind a narrow concept of what a 'gay night' is and fail to understand that that might not be to everyone's taste. The LGB society at the Uni ran a night iirc Pink Glove for several years (I think it's called something else now) which had a broad indie playlist, that was a non profit night put on by gay people primarily for gay people who happened to have very different musical taste to you despite having the same sexual orientation.

As for whatever night you enjoyed on Friday that's fine, I hope you had fun. My comments have been about a "gay night" not one of the countless "queer friendly" nights that come and go. As I've already mentioned before, I don't think anybody with an ounce of intelligence is fooled by these descriptions anymore. Quite simply, we've all learned to accept that "queer friendly" (or whatever euphamism you might care to use) means a straight night which tries to pull-in some poofs too, to make a bit more cash.

You clearly know nothing about the DIY scene if you think the people behind it are motivated by money.

Oh, and as for the "achingly cool" music you describe, well I can just imagine it must have been magnificent - a room full of straight people, maybe a dozen gay people, all desperately trying to look like you're having fun (and not being too gay) listening to a load of garbage, all in an effort to try and be cool, alternative, indie, or whatever other daft term you like. Sounds like a typical Sheffield night!

Because it's just impossible that people might genuinely like different music from you :rolleyes: Again you are displaying your ignorance of the DIY scene if you think it's about 'typical Sheffield' stuff.

Dunno how many times I have to say it, but some people evidently just don't grasp that the majority of gay people in Sheffield (ie the ones that can't be bothered to go to the pubs and clubs any more because they're so rubbish) are not interested in all these ridiculous attempts to be "different" or "not too camp" or "queer friendly" and so on. We've seen it all before! This endless series of people all wanting to be "different" is just comical - different from what? If there was some big gay club here which was ostensibly (maybe exclusively) gay, full of campery, drag queens, Kylie, Girls Aloud, etc., then one could understand these constant attempts to create something different.

The point is (and I really don't know why some people are so blinkered not to see it) is that there is no place like this. Nor has there been for about fifteen years!

Has it not crossed your mind that this might be because there isn't as much demand for the type of narrowly defined gay night as you like to think?

Okay, I'll answer the points directly, to save time and space:-

I have read them which was why I posted what I did.

No you haven't, otherwise you'd see that we've covered all this stuff already.

No you have in mind a narrow concept of what a 'gay night' is and fail to understand that that might not be to everyone's taste.

Au contraire, you don't seem to understand that a "gay night" means a night for gay people - not anybody else. Bit like a "Football night" is for er... football. Can't you quite grasp this?

The LGB society at the Uni ran a night iirc Pink Glove for several years

I know; we went to it twice and it was so embarrassingly empty and boring, we gave-up on it.

You clearly know nothing about the DIY scene if you think the people behind it are motivated by money.

Don't know if they are or not, but presumably they don't organise these events for charity? But this rather misses the point, doesn't it?

Because it's just impossible that people might genuinely like different music from you Again you are displaying your ignorance of the DIY scene if you think it's about 'typical Sheffield' stuff.

Again, you patently haven't read what's already been written. I'm well aware that different people like different music (no, really? *gasps*), but you clearly don't appreciate that the majority of people like pop music - that's why it's called pop music. Sorry to disappoint you but it's such a typically Sheffield attitude it's tragic.

Has it not crossed your mind that this might be because there isn't as much demand for the type of narrowly defined gay night as you like to think?

Yes, actually it has. Maybe it hasn't crossed your mind that what I've described is not a "narrowly-defined gay night" but simply a "gay night" instead of the variety of thinly-disguised straight nights which like to dress themselves up as being gay when, by definition, they're clearly not. The reason why there has been no decent night in Sheffield along the lines I've mentioned, for many years, is because nobody has tried running one - it's that simple. It's almost as if people in Sheffield are terrified of running a straightforward "gay night" and they'll wrap themselves in knots to do anything but that - and then they wonder why they all inevitably fail. The only place that even comes close to this popularist mentality is Climax which, despite it's faults, manages to survive... go figure...

I realy don't see the point of you having a gay night if the barstaff, and the customers are going to be freaked out by gay people, you'd be better off not having gay people there in the first place, that avoids all the problems.

You didn't answer the question as to how you would cope with two blokes snogging (assuming thats going to be allowed), would they get kicked out ? Would any of your straight customers who were "offended" be kicked-out ? What if a fight broke out ?

I agree with this post alot.

2nd paragraph deffo needs answering.

Archived