Wadsley Houses Social Club, Ltd.

I am interested in W.J. Patchett (1875-1931).

I have not seen this myself, but I was told that in White's Register for 1919, Patchett appears as:

Builder & billiard saloon 17 Withens Avenue & Dodd Street

At the time, it surprised me that W.J. Patchett, whom I knew (and am primarily interested in) as a builder & contractor, should also be listed vis-a-vis a billiard saloon.

I have now found a report of Patchett's funeral. At the funeral, "The Wadsley Houses Social Club, Ltd. was represented by" no fewer than 20 men. I would now assume that the billiard saloon of 1919 and the Social Club of 1931 are somehow connected.

Does anyone have more information on the Wadsley Houses Social Club, Ltd.?

I am intrigued by the addition of "Ltd." to a club.

Patchett William Maxfield bldrs merchant ( W.M. Patchett & Co. Ltd.), 13 Grove Avenue,Wad. 6 T.N 43451

Patchett W.M. & Co.Ltd. bldrs mers,121 Holme Lane, T.N.43331

Wadsley House Social Club Ltd ( Joseph Walker,sec;Wilfred Hughes steward) reg. office,Wadsley ho.The Drive 6 T.N.433861

I am interested in W.J. Patchett (1875-1931).

I have not seen this myself, but I was told that in White's Register for 1919, Patchett appears as:

Builder & billiard saloon 17 Withens Avenue & Dodd Street

At the time, it surprised me that W.J. Patchett, whom I knew (and am primarily interested in) as a builder & contractor, should also be listed vis-a-vis a billiard saloon.

I have now found a report of Patchett's funeral. At the funeral, "The Wadsley Houses Social Club, Ltd. was represented by" no fewer than 20 men. I would now assume that the billiard saloon of 1919 and the Social Club of 1931 are somehow connected.

Does anyone have more information on the Wadsley Houses Social Club, Ltd.?

I am intrigued by the addition of "Ltd." to a club.

Wadsley House Social Club Ltd.( House without the S) is this one and the same. It is situated on, The Drive, off Marlcliffe Rd

I have been there a few times to weddings, parties etc.

It may be worth your while giving them a ring. They may have details of old members etc. Their Phone number - 0114 2343386

I live out of town and visit this club with my brother who is a member and ex chairman.

it has lots of plaques and memoribilia scattered around the place and is still a very nice club for snooker and in particular crown green bowling.

Archived